[Sciwomen_faculty] Dr. Judy Weis' New Book

Christina M. Leshko cleshko at rci.rutgers.edu
Fri Jul 31 14:50:55 EDT 2009

I want to toot my horn and plug my new book that's just
coming out. Co-authored by Carol Butler, it's entitled "Salt Marshes: A
Natural and Unnatural History." It's being published as a paperback by
Rutgers Univ. Press and sells for ~$24. Lots of illustrations, not highly
technical but accessible to the interested general public, naturalists,
environmentalists, undergraduate and graduate students, etc.
but cites lots of current research. It covers basic natural history &
ecology of marsh plants and animals, then chapters on how humans have
messed up the marshes, then discusses restoration and use of marshes in
environmental clean-up. The final chapter is about the decline and
resurrection of the Hackensack Meadowlands.

http://rutgerspress.rutgers.edu/acatalog/Salt_Marshes.html

Judy Weis

1880's: "There's lots of good fish in the sea"   W.S. Gilbert
1990's:  Many fish stocks depleted due to overfishing, habitat loss,
          and pollution.
2000's:  Marine reserves, ecosystem restoration, and pollution reduction
          MAY help restore populations.

                             \ \
                              \ \ \
                - -      _ - \ \ \ \ ----\
    Judith S. Weis, Professor   Department of Biological Sciences
    Rutgers University, Newark NJ 07102  jweis at andromeda.rutgers.edu
             Phone: 973 353-5387       FAX 973 353-5518

http://newarkbioweb.rutgers.edu/department/FacultyProfiles/weis.html