[RULA] Lecture Series - Ellen Creveling, The Nature Conservancy

Marcus R. Knowlton knowlton at SEBS.Rutgers.edu
Fri Oct 2 11:21:28 EDT 2009

Fall 2009 Lecture Series

Department of Landscape Architecture

The Fall 2009 Environmental Geomatics Lecture

Wednesday, October 7, 3:55 in Cook Douglass Lecture Hall Room 110

Ellen Creveling, Conservation Science Coordinator, The Nature Conservancy,
New Jersey Chapter

Conservation Planning at Scale: the Nature Conservancy's statewide approach
for New Jersey

Abstract: Conservation planning provides an essential tool for prioritizing
conservation actions.  A critical step in the Nature Conservancy's
"Conservation by Design" framework, conservation planning needs to be
tailored to a scale appropriate for specific conservation goals.  The
Conservancy's New Jersey Chapter has applied concepts from ecoregional
planning in order to identify priority conservation areas for the state of
New Jersey.  Informed by principles of landscape ecology and conservation
biology, our methods applied these concepts using statewide data and a GIS
to identify the areas in New Jersey that are most critical to conserving the
natural habitats and biodiversity of our state.  The next step in our
planning process is to update our plan, focusing on the integration of
freshwater and terrestrial priorities in order to facilitate effective
conservation across New Jersey's landscapes.

Bio:  As Conservation Science Coordinator for TNC's New Jersey Chapter,
Ellen Creveling is lead on a multi-state Delaware River Basin Freshwater
Assessment.  Since assuming her current position, she has played an
essential role in the New Jersey Chapter's conservation planning efforts at
statewide and regional scales.  Ellen has a Master of Science in
Environmental Conservation from the University of Greenwich (UK) and a
Bachelor of Arts from Columbia University.

  _____

See a full list of our Fall 2009 lectures @ http://landarch.rutgers.edu