[Mler_] RAH Food Day a banner success! Starting this week is "Adopt A Family"

Wanda Radowski wradowski at work.rutgers.edu
Wed Oct 26 09:39:30 EDT 2011

*AH serves up ‘Food Day’ for healthier, cheaper meals*

Bottom of Form

Share<http://www.dailytargum.com/news/university/rah-serves-up-food-day-for-healthier-cheaper-meals/article_1e89eb60-ff7f-11e0-b3eb-001a4bcf6878.html>

*RU Against Hunger serves up ‘Food Day’ for healthier, cheaper
meals<http://www.dailytargum.com/content/tncms/live/dailytargum.com/news/university/rah-serves-up-food-day-for-healthier-cheaper-meals/article_1e89eb60-ff7f-11e0-b3eb-001a4bcf6878.html>By
Kinan Tadmori *
More than 2,300 pounds of food were donated to three food pantries on Monday
for the University’s first campus-wide celebration of “Food Day.”  *Thank
you* everyone at LEC who helped to make this possible!!  The details are
below.
Please keep bringing in non perishable food for the food basket.... It cries
terribly when it's empty! I can hear it whimpering from my office right now.

“Food Day” is a national program that brings together Americans from all
walks of life to push for healthier, more affordable production of food,
said Kathleen Decker, program coordinator for Rutgers Against Hunger.  “[RAH]
is a University-wide initiative to address the issue of hunger across the
state of New Jersey,” she said. “We do this through food drives, fundraising
events and volunteer events for students, faculty and staff.”  RAH hosted
food drives across the University for five weeks leading up to “Food Day,”
beginning Sept. 19, Decker said.

Three different pantries, including Interfaith Food Pantry in Morristown,
Your Grandmother’s Cupboard in Toms River and the Highland Park Community
Food Pantry in Highland Park picked up the food donations on Monday, Decker
said.

Dining Services also joined forces with RAH when all the dining halls served
local and sustainable food items on Oct. 19, said Peggy Policastro, a
nutritionist in Dining Services.  “There were flyers put out that night
explaining why those specific food items were considered sustainable,”
Policastro said. Most of the food the dining halls served came from places
in New Jersey, she said.

As their first event of the year ends, RAH looks to future initiatives to
fight hunger across New Jersey, like:  “Adopt-A-Family” campaign, which
kicked off on Monday, Oct. 24th Decker said.

The program works as a University collective to help support families in
need, with necessary items such as food, household items and toys for
children, she said.  “We partner with 15 social service agencies, who will
provide us with a list of families in need,” Decker said. “This is one of
the ways that RAH will continue to give back to those in need in New
Jersey.”  Decker said while she believes RAH has been an important service
program, it is relevant during the current economic status.

“The need for RAH is far greater than it has been in the past. Every food
bank we’ve visited has stressed that this time is the worst that they’ve
seen it,” she said. “There are people who used to volunteer at these
pantries that now come in for assistance.”

--
Wanda Radowski, secretary
Rutgers University
wradowski at work.rutgers.edu