[Hrdiv_net] Are we promoting an organization that apparently steeling/copying the Academy identity/abbreviation

Mark Huselid huselid at smlr.rutgers.edu
Tue Apr 8 21:37:51 EDT 2008

Clint, Baruch, and HRDiv_Net Colleagues,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments on this issue.  I too was quite
surprised
to learn of the existence of the AoM, whose mission statement reads as
follows
(from their web site - http://www.aom-iaom.org):

	"AoM/IAoM is a professional organization of scholars and
practitioners responsible
	for providing annual conferences, worldwide meetings, curricula and
executive programs,
	speakers, and an active portfolio of professional publications in
Management, Education,
	Leadership, and Technology."

I've since learned that the AOM leadership (Academy of Management, that is)
is quite aware
of the existence of the "other" AoM, that it has been in existence for quite
some time, and
that they are apparently breaking no laws as long as they do not represent
themselves as
being the Academy of Management.  That said, I am concerned about what
appears to me to
be blatant misrepresentation; those of us in the field of management might
be able to
make the distinction between these bodies (although I have to say that
before this week
I couldn't), but I don't think it will be likely that university wide tenure
committees,
for example, will be able to reliably differentiate AOM from AoM.  I think
this type of
confusion is a ba

In the short run I'm grateful to Baruch & Clint for bringing this to our
attention.  In
the longer run