[Hrdiv_net] Qualitative Research in MGMT Conference

Robert Vandenberg rvandenb at uga.edu
Wed Nov 21 14:31:22 EST 2007

Dear OB- and HR-Div Netters:

On behalf of Ann Cunliffe, I was asked to pass on the following announcement
and deadline extension for the Qualitative Research in Management
Conference.  I apologize in advance for any cross-postings.  And for those
on these lists who celebrate Thanksgiving, I hope you have a joyous and safe
holiday.

Thanks -- Bob Vandenberg

--------------------------
Robert J. Vandenberg
Terry College of Business
Department of Management
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602-6256

DEADLINE EXTENDED TO NOVEMBER 28th
QUALITATIVE RESEARCH IN MANAGEMENT AND ORGANIZATION CONFERENCE
March 11-13, 2008.

Anderson Schools of Management
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico

Keynote Speakers

John Van Maanen
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

H. L. (Bud) Goodall
Arizona State University

Over the past two decades, qualitative research in management and
organization studies has grown, exploring new forms of fieldwork, method,
theorizing, and writing.  Yet qualitative research has a long and
distinguished history extending at least from the Hawthorne Studies of the
1920s and the early urban ethnographies and anthropological contributions.
One of the key contributions that linked this history to exciting new
developments in fieldwork was John Van Maanen's seminal Tales of the Field
(1988). This book had, and continues to have a profound impact on
qualitative organizational scholarship because it highlighted the
possibilities for doing and writing ethnography differently, for engaging
more directly with organizational life, and for thinking more reflexively
about such work.

This conference has two purposes.  The first is to recognize and celebrate
John Van Maanen's impact on the field. The second is to create a space where
qualitative scholars doing research in on and around organizations using a
multiplicity of methods, voices, and ways of writing qualitative work, can
exchange ideas and engage in critical discussion.

We are interested in papers, panels, and innovative sessions that explore
the philosophical, theoretical, and practical aspects of qualitative
approaches to researching organizational life.  We encourage contributions
from a range of disciplines including but not limited to management and
organization studies, accounting, marketing, communications, cultural
studies, information and decision sciences, sociology, psychology,
education, health and public administration.  Papers may also explore the
ontological and epistemological as well as methodological and practical
aspects of qualitative research from a variety of perspectives.

Papers addressing the conference theme directly, whether looking at
practical or theoretical aspects of organizational narratives or narrative
knowing, are particularly welcome.

Prospective contributors should send an abstract of up to 500 words, via
email, to Ann Cunliffe at alc.qrm at hull.ac.uk   by November 28th, 2007.

Hosted by the Anderson School of Management

Conference organizers and current contact information:

Ann L Cunliffe
Hull University Business School, UK
Anderson Schools of Management, USA
alc.qrm at hull.ac.uk