[Evolution_RU] Journal Club in Evolution on Cook(ing) Campus: October 21: The evolution of cooking

Lena Struwe struwe at AESOP.Rutgers.edu
Mon Oct 17 21:27:48 EDT 2011

*Journal Club in Evolution *(aka Advanced Evolution 16:215:550)
*continues Friday October 21th in room 262 in Foran Hall at 10:55-12:15.
*All are welcome to attend any of our weekly Friday meetings, at the
same time and in the same room for this semester.

This journal club is open to all students and faculty interested in
organismal evolution at any level (individual to phyla, genes to
morphology) and is arranged by Lena Struwe and Siobain Duffy. To get all
journal club announcements and other evolution-related information
campus-wide, sign up for the Mailing list in Evolution at
Rutgers:https://email.rutgers.edu/mailman/listinfo/evolution_ru

I (Lena Struwe) will lead a discussion on the *evolution of cooking, and
how it might have affected both human morphology and social behavior.*
The last chapter in the book Catching Fire by Richard Wrangham discusses
how cooking relates to decreased aggressive behaviors and more
cooperation within honomid populations, for example. Interesting
subject, and maybe something we all can relate to since we all need to
eat.  I'll bring some edibles too.

We will discuss two chapters in Richard Wrangham's book "Catching Fire:
How Cooking Made us human" (Amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Catching-Fire-Cooking-Made-Human/dp/0465013627 ),
the introduction and the last chapter, the Cook's journey.  The chapters
can be downloaded here (sorry, simple pdfs, nothing fancy):

http://PostIt.rutgers.edu/uploads/Wrangham%5FCatchingFire%5Fintro.pdf
(this chapter has been discussed before in journal club, and are given
as an intro for those that missed that discussion)

http://PostIt.rutgers.edu/uploads/Wrangham%5FCatchingFire%5F%20CooksJourney.pdf

There is a good introduction to Richard Wrangham's rather controversial
ideas here: Scientific American, Cooking Up Bigger Brains
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=cooking-up-bigger-brains&print=true
<http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2011/04/20/divided-by-language-united-by-gut-bacteria-%E2%80%93-people-have-three-common-gut-types/>

After Journal Club some of us usually go out for Evo Lunch.  If you
can't be there for journal club but want to join in around 12.30 in for
some cooked food and evolutionary within-species company, send me an
e-mail.

See many of you on Friday!
Lena

--
Dr. Lena Struwe | Associate Professor&  Director, Chrysler Herbarium | Rutgers University | Dept of Ecology, Evolution, and Natural Resources | Dept of Plant Biology and Pathology | 237 Foran Hall | 59 Dudley Road | New Brunswick, NJ 08901 | USA | struwe at aesop.rutgers.edu | phone (732) 932-9711 x235 | fax (732) 932-9441 | www.rci.rutgers.edu/~struwe/