[Sy-cg-global] DIMACS Workshop on Implementation of Geometric Algorithms

Eric Luhrs eluhrs at dimacs.rutgers.edu
Tue May 21 14:36:23 EDT 2002

Program Title: DIMACS Workshop on Implementation of Geometric Algorithms

Program Dates: December 4 - 6, 2002

Sponsors: DIMACS Center

Organizers:
Herve Bronnimann, Polytechnic University, hbr at poly.edu
Steven Fortune, Bell Laboratories, Lucent Technologies, sjf at bell-labs.com

Location of Program:
DIMACS Center, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ 08854-8018

Local Arrangements:
Jennifer Thiemann, DIMACS Center, jennifer at dimacs.rutgers.edu, 732-445-5928

WWW Information:
http://dimacs.rutgers.edu/Workshops/GeomAlgorithms/

Short Description:
It is notoriously difficult to implement geometric algorithms. This
difficulty arises in part from the conceptual complexity of geometric
algorithms, the proliferation of special cases, the dependence of
combinatorial decisions on numerical computation, and frequent
theoretical focus on worst-case asymptotic behavior.

This workshop will address research issues related to the
implementation of geometric algorithms. Typical, but not exclusive
topics include: numerical issues, noisy data and data repair, geometric
data structures, massive geometric data sets, algorithm library design,
algorithm engineering, and experimental studies.

We plan to bring together both researchers and practitioners. We hope that
practitioners will benefit from discussions of the state of the art in
research, and that researchers will benefit by being exposed to
implementation issues of practical importance.

Call for Participation:

We expect the workshop to contain both invited and contributed presentations. Anyone interested in participating in the workshop should contact one of the
organizers.

REGISTRATION FEES:

(pre-registration deadline 11/27/02)

Regular rate (1 day/2 days/3 days)
  $120/$240/$360 on or before 11/27/02
  $140/$280/$420 after 11/27/02
Academic/nonprofit rate*
  $60/$120/$180 on or before 11/27/02
  $70/$140/$210 after 11/27/02

Postdocs
  $10/day on or before 11/27/02
  $15/day after 11/27/02

DIMACS Postdocs  $0

Non-Local Graduate & Undergraduate students
  $5/day on or before 11/27/02
  $10/day after 11/27/02

Local Graduate & Undergraduate students  $0
  (Rutgers & Princeton)

DIMACS partner institution employees**   $0

DIMACS long-term visitors***  $0

Registration fee to be collected on site, cash, check, VISA/Mastercard
accepted.

     Our funding agencies require that we charge a registration fee
during the course of the workshop. Registration fees include
participation in the workshop, all workshop materials, breakfast,
lunch, breaks and any scheduled social events (if applicable).

     * College/University faculty and employees of non-profit
organizations will automatically receive the reduced rate. Other
participants may apply for a reduction of fees. They should email
their request for the reduced fee to the Workshop Coordinator at
workshop at dimacs.rutgers.edu. Include your name, the Institution you
work for, your job title and a brief explanation of your situation.
All requests for reduced rates must be received before the
preregistration deadline. You will promptly be notified as to the
decision about it.

     ** Fees for employees of DIMACS partner institutions are
waived. DIMACS partner institutions are: Rutgers University, Princeton
University, AT&T Labs - Research, Bell Labs, NEC Research Institute
and Telcordia Technologies.

     ***DIMACS long-term visitors who are in residence at DIMACS
for two or more weeks inclusive of dates of workshop.

Information on participation, financial support, registration,
accomodations, and travel can be found at:

       http://dimacs.rutgers.edu/Workshops/GeomAlgorithms

**PLEASE BE SURE TO PRE-REGISTER EARLY**