[Dimacs-ccicada-announce] ANNOUNCEMENT - - CCICADA Seminar Series in Homeland Security - MARCH 23, 2017

James Wojtowicz jwojtowi at dimacs.rutgers.edu
Mon Mar 20 15:06:12 EDT 2017

** ANNOUNCEMENT **

Command, Control and Interoperability Center for Advanced Data Analysis - CCICADA Research Group Lab Meeting
Date/Time:  Thursday, March 23, 2017/12:15pm to 1:00pm

Location:
Computing Research & Education Building (CoRE), Busch Campus, Rutgers, the State University of NJ
4th Floor Conference Room - 433

FEATURED SPEAKERS:
Aditya Gandhi, MBS-Analytics
Satakski Tiwari, MS-ECE

Title:   Applying k-Prototype and Expectation-Maximization Clustering to NBA Shot Locations

Abstract:  We examine National Basketball Association (NBA) data to understand areas on the basketball court that teams tend to shoot successfully versus not. We call these areas high frequency shooting zones (HFSZs). These are found with play-by-play and box-score data. For any team, we define an HFSZ as a region on the basketball court that has high probability of a team making a successful shot. To achieve this purpose, we use unsupervised algorithms like k-prototype clustering and expectation-maximization (EM) clustering. We examine factors such as the player location, shot type, field goal percentage, game scenarios and the defense of the opposition team. For the purpose of reducing bias in the algorithm, we repeat the algorithm for different number of initial clusters. Our aim is to use the results to obtain trends associated with certain teams. This research has potential to assist teams in floor movement and in-game decision making.