[CCICADA-announce] ANNOUNCEMENT - FEATURED SPEAKER: Aaron Rowen _ DHS Fellow - RPI

James Wojtowicz wojtowic at dimacs.rutgers.edu
Mon Sep 12 21:32:15 EDT 2016

** ANNOUNCEMENT **

Command, Control and Interoperability Center for Advanced Data Analysis

CCICADA Research Lab Meeting - September 15, 2016

FEATURED SPEAKER: Aaron Rowen, DHS Fellow
Industrial and Systems Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Advisor: Dr. Martha Grabowski

Title:  Evaluation of Wearable Immersive Augmented Reality in
Safety-Critical Systems

Date/Time: Thursday, September 15, 2016, 12:00pm

Location: Computing Research & Education Building (CoRE), Busch Campus,
Rutgers, the State University of NJ
4th Floor Conference Room - 433

Abstract:

Increased levels of automation made possible by technology advancements
have had mixed impacts on human performance and situation awareness in
complex tasks in safety-critical systems. The variance may be
attributable to levels of expertise of the human operator. In this
study, we observe three groups of Merchant Marine officers with
differing levels of expertise, in a complex ship navigation task. We
observe trends in performance metrics, communication patterns, and
situation awareness with the goal of understanding how automation can
improve safety, and increase operator performance and situation
awareness in complex operational tasks working in concert with automation.