[CCICADA-announce] DIMACS/CCICADA Interdisciplinary Seminar Series - Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Linda Casals lindac at dimacs.rutgers.edu
Mon Apr 14 15:09:37 EDT 2014

***********************REMINDER***************REMINDER***************

DIMACS/CCICADA Interdisciplinary Seminar Series Presents

Title: Distributed Storage Systems: Issues, Performance Analysis and Code Design

Speaker: Vinay Vaishampayan, DIMACS

Date: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 11:00am - 12:00pm

Location: DIMACS Center, CoRE Bldg, Room 431, Rutgers University

Many service providers are offering data storage services to consumers
for zero or very low cost. Thus cost minimization is vitally important
to providers of storage services. One approach is to use low cost
components along with erasure codes in order to enhance the
reliability. Erasure codes have been well studied for their
application to communication problems and bounds and constructions are
well known in coding theory. However, the distributed nature of the
application to storage systems leads to several new and interesting
questions. I will consider some of these issues here.

Unlike a standard communication system, the failure mechanism in a
storage system that uses erasure codes is quite subtle and requires
careful analysis. I will address the problem of performance analysis,
highlighting the important role played by the repair duration,
i.e. the time to repair a failed disk. I will then address the problem
of erasure code design with the added objective of minimizing the
repair duration. After surveying previous work a layered code
construction based on combinatorial block designs will be presented
followed by a discussion about the advantages of such an approach.