[CCICADA-announce] DIMACS/CCICADA Interdisciplinary Seminar Series - March 12, 2013

Linda Casals lindac at dimacs.rutgers.edu
Mon Mar 4 12:21:42 EST 2013

DIMACS/CCICADA Interdisciplinary Seminar Series Presents

Title: Maximum Entropy Summary Trees

Speaker: Howard Karloff, AT&T Labs

Date: Tuesday**, March 12, 2013 1:00 - 2:00pm

Location: DIMACS Center, CoRE Bldg, Room 431, Rutgers University,
          Busch Campus, Piscataway, NJ

**Note special day and time

Given a very large, node-weighted, rooted tree on, say, n nodes, if
one has only enough space to display a k-node summary of the tree,
what is the most informative way to draw the tree? We define a type of
weighted tree that we call a "summary tree" of the original tree, that
results from aggregating nodes of the original tree subject to certain
constraints. We suggest that the best choice of which summary tree to
use (among those with a fixed number of nodes) is the one that
maximizes the information-theoretic entropy of a natural probability
distribution associated with the summary tree, and we provide a
(pseudopolynomial-time) dynamic-programming algorithm to compute this
maximum entropy summary tree, when the weights are integral. The
result is an automated way to summarize large trees and retain as much
information about them as possible, while using (and displaying) only
a fraction of the original node set. We also provide an additive
approximation algorithm and a greedy heuristic that are faster than
the optimal algorithm, and generalize to trees with real-valued
weights.

This is joint work with Ken Shirley.

DIMACS/CCICADA Interdisciplinary Series Calendar 2013-
See: http://dimacs.rutgers.edu/Seminars/interseminars12-13.html