[CCICADA-announce] DIMACS/CCICADA Workshop on Urban Planning for Climate Events

Linda Casals lindac at dimacs.rutgers.edu
Wed Jun 12 11:41:01 EDT 2013

DIMACS/CCICADA Workshop on Urban Planning for Climate Events

  September 23 - 24, 2013
  DIMACS Center, CoRE Building, Rutgers University

Organizers:
    Midge Cozzens, DIMACS, midgec at dimacs.rutgers.edu
    Fred Roberts, CCICADA/DIMACS, froberts at dimacs.rutgers.edu
    Alexis Tsoukias, LAMSADE, tsoukias at lamsade.dauphine.fr
    Laura Wynter, IBM, lwynter at us.ibm.com

Presented under the auspices of the Special Focus on Algorithmic
Decision Theory, Mathematics of Planet Earth 2013+ and The Command,
Control, and Interoperability Center for Advanced Data Analysis
(CCICADA).

Announcement:

The workshop will investigate sustainable human environments through
an emphasis on urban planning for climate events such as storms, heat
events, and floods. We will look at algorithmic tools to make better
decisions about adaptation and mitigation for climate events. We will
look at ways to understand a great deal of data that might be relevant
to adaptation planning for sea level rise: flight delays, beach
erosion, ferry service interruptions, salt water intrusion, water
treatment plant operations, power plant location, subway and train
track location, and emergency services preparedness. We will consider
planning for modifications in the energy, transportation, water
supply, waste, and communications sectors. Changes in one sector
potentially impact other sectors and so call for mathematical modeling
and algorithmic analysis. We will study algorithmic tools for
evaluating, comparing, and making decisions about adaptation and
mitigation strategies.

Call for Participation:

Anyone interested can contribute a paper. Deadline for title/abstract
submission is July 23, 2013; submit to froberts at dimacs.rutgers.edu.
Authors of contributed papers will be notified of acceptance by
August 15, 2013.

The workshop is open to all who register.

Workshop web site (including registration):

   http://dimacs.rutgers.edu/Workshops/Urban/