[CCICADA-announce] DIMACS/CCICADA Interdisciplinary SeminarSeries - Monday, November 12, 2012

Linda Casals lindac at dimacs.rutgers.edu
Mon Nov 12 08:46:11 EST 2012

******************REMINDER****************REMINDER**********

DIMACS/CCICADA Interdisciplinary Seminar Series Presents

Title: Optimization of personalized therapies for anticancer treatment

Speaker: Alexei Vazquez, The Cancer Institute of New Jersey

Date: Monday, November 12, 2012 11:00am - 12:00pm

Location: DIMACS Center, CoRE Bldg, Room 433**, Rutgers University
             Busch Campus, Piscataway, NJ

**Please note room change

As today, there are hundreds of targeted therapies for the treatment
of cancer, many of which have companion biomarkers that are in use to
inform treatment decisions. If we would consider this whole arsenal of
targeted therapies as a treatment option for every patient, very soon
we will reach a scenario where each patient is positive for several
markers suggesting their treatment with several targeted
therapies. Given the documented side effects of anticancer drugs, it
is clear that such a strategy is unfeasible. Here, we propose a
strategy that optimizes the design of combinatorial therapies to
achieve the best respond rates with the minimal toxicity. In this
methodology markers are assigned to drugs such that we achieve a high
overall response rate while using personalized combinations of minimal
size. We tested this methodology in an in silico cancer patient
cohort, constructed from in vitro data for 638 cell lines and 131
drugs reported by the Sanger Institute. Our analysis indicates that,
even in the context of personalized medicine, combinations of three or
more drugs are required to achieve high response rates. Furthermore,
patient-to-patient variations in pharmacokinetics have a significant
impact in the overall response rate. A 10 fold increase in the
pharmacokinetics variations resulted in a drop of 10% in the overall
response rate independently of the maximum combination size
allowed. The design of optimal combinatorial therapy for anticancer
treatment requires a transition from the one-drug/one-biomarker
approach to global strategies that simultaneously assign makers to a
catalog of drugs. The methodology reported here provides a framework
to achieve this transition.

DIMACS/CCICADA Interdisciplinary Series, Fall Calendar 2012-
See: http://dimacs.rutgers.edu/Seminars/interseminars12-13.html