[CCICADA-announce] DIMACS/CCICADA Interdisciplinary SeminarSeries - Monday, March 5, 2012

Linda Casals lindac at dimacs.rutgers.edu
Tue Feb 28 10:47:25 EST 2012

DIMACS/CCICADA Interdisciplinary Seminar Series Presents

Title: Super-Uniformity of Billiard Paths

Speaker: Humberto Montalvan, Rutgers University

Date: Monday, March 5, 2012 11:00am - 12:00pm

Location: DIMACS Center, CoRE Bldg, Room 431, Rutgers University

Imagine a billiard ball traveling at unit speed in the unit square,
bouncing off the walls elastically, for T seconds. Suppose that there
is an irregularly shaped blob A on the surface of the table. The total
length of the portions of the ball's trajectory that lie in A, divided
by T, should give an approximation of the area of A.

In this talk, I will present a recent result of Jozsef Beck which
essentially states that the error in this approximation is
surprisingly small for a typical billiard path, regardless of the
'ugliness' of A. I will also discuss the correct way of generalizing
this result to higher dimensions.

DIMACS/CCICADA Interdisciplinary Series, Complete Spring Calendar 2012
See: http://dimacs.rutgers.edu/Seminars/interseminars.html