[CCICADA-announce] DIMACS/CCICADA Student-organized Seminar Series-Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Linda Casals lindac at dimacs.rutgers.edu
Tue Feb 15 09:15:44 EST 2011

*****************REMINDER**************REMINDER***************
   the Command, Control, and Interoperability Center
          for Advanced Data Analysis (CCICADA)

Title: Text Mining and Cybercrime

Speaker: April Kontostathis, Ursinus College

Date: Tuesday, February 15, 2011; 12:00-1:00pm

Location: DIMACS Center, CoRE Bldg, Room 431, Rutgers University, Busch Campus

This talk will describe progress on an ongoing project that integrates
both communication theories and computer science algorithms to create
a program that can detect the occurrence of internet predation and
bullying in online social settings. Though there has been much work
exploring social media in general, this particular aspect of online
social interaction remains largely untapped.

The first phase of our study attempts to evaluate and categorize the
strategies used by online sexual predators in their attempts to
develop relationships with children using the Internet. Our software
system, ChatCoder, is designed to decide which lines in the chat log
contain predatory language. The labels we use are based on the
communicative model for online predation that we have developed and
are refining. We have previously developed phrase-matching and
rule-based approaches to classify and label lines of chat logs, and
have recently expanded these techniques to use machine learning
algorithms to classify posts.

More recently we have begun to study the communicative patterns of
online bullies. We expect the use of linear algebraic techniques, such
as Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI) to help us learn to identify
dangerous conversations. The eventual goal of the project is to
develop and deploy open source software to monitor the use of social
networking tools and sites by minors.

Bio:

April Kontostathis is an Associate Professor of Mathematics and
Computer Science at Ursinus College. She earned a Ph.D. in computer
science from Lehigh University in 2004. She has written numerous
articles that describe methods for determining the most critical
values in the reduced dimensionality matrix and improving the
efficiency and effectiveness of Latent Semantic Indexing
(LSI). Currently, Dr. Kontostathis is the Principal Investigator, with
Dr. Lynne Edwards, on a three-year $498,000 grant from the National
Science Foundation to study and prevent cyber-bullying and cyber
predation. She is also the Co-Principal Investigator, with
Dr. Mohammed Yahdi, on a National Science Foundation Research
Experiences for Undergraduate Sites grant.