[CCICADA-announce] DIMACS/CCICADA Interdisciplinary Seminar Series-Monday, April 4, 2011

Linda Casals lindac at dimacs.rutgers.edu
Mon Apr 4 09:18:26 EDT 2011

******************REMINDER**********REMINDER*********

DIMACS/CCICADA Interdisciplinary Seminar Series Presents

Title: Faster buffering in large databases

Speaker: Mihai Patrascu, AT&T Labs

Date: Monday, April 4, 2011 12:00 - 1:00 pm

Location: DIMACS Center, CoRE Bldg, Room 431, Rutgers University

Imagine a large (disk-resident) database that needs to support a fast
stream of updates. The updates may be natural, or, more likely,
self-inflicted (if we want to maintain many indexes, one logical
update translates into many).

If we are worried about keeping up with the updates, the simplest
thing to do is to just record the updates in an unsorted log, in which
case we can support an update rate near disk speed. Of course, queries
will not be particularly efficient.

Buffer trees are one of the classic external memory data
structures. They offer a way to record updates at a rate
logarithmically slower than raw disk speed, and then support lookups
for a particular key in reasonable (logarithmic) time.

I will present a new, improved data structure that can support updates
with just a log-log slowdown compared to disk speed, and still
implement lookups in logarithmic time. This is the first data
structure that aggressively uses hashing in the external memory model;
in particular, it is the first to break outside the classic
"indivisibility model".