[16days_discussion] Fwd:Why Do Some Men Use Violence Against Women & How Can We Prevent?

16 Days Campaign 16days at cwgl.rutgers.edu
Thu Nov 14 10:40:34 EST 2013

 From WUNRN:
WUNRN
http://www.wunrn.com
*Direct Link to Full 120-Page 2013 Publication:*
http://www.peacewomen.org/assets/file/rbap-gender-2013-p4p-vaw-report.pdf

http://www.peacewomen.org/portal_resources_resource.php?id=1916
*Why Some Men Use Violence Against Women And How Do We Prevent It? UN
Report*

Author: Emma Fulu, Xian Warner, Stephanie Miedema, Rachel Jewkes, Tim
Roselli and James Lang
Violence against women constrains the enjoyment of women's human rights
everywhere. We know that it is a manifestation of power and control and
a tool to maintain gender inequalities, disrupting the health, survival,
safety and freedom of women and their families around the world. We know
that to end violence against women and girls, we must ensure their full
empowerment, promote and protect their rights, including access to
justice and support services, and end the discrimination they face in
all aspects of their lives.

Changing cultures towards zero tolerance for violence against women,
therefore, must be a priority for States, communities and families. Over
the past few decades, much has been done in legal and policy reform and
the extension of services to support and protect women and their
families from domestic and sexual violence, while prevention efforts
have focused on campaigns and advocacy that have brought the issue into
public
consciousness.

Preventing violence requires the sustained involvement of socializing
institutions at the community and state levels, including schools,
faith-based organizations, media and popular culture. This is recognized
in the Declaration on the Elimination of Violence against Women, which
calls for States to modify the social and cultural patterns of conduct
of men and women and to eliminate prejudices and customary practices.
The elimination of harmful gender norms and practices can only be
achieved through the engagement of men and boys. Understanding men's own
diverse experiences, within the context of deep-rooted patriarchal
systems and structures that enable men to assert power and control over
women, will help us target the underlying drivers of violence against
women and girls to stop violence before it starts.

Through our regional joint programme, Partners for Prevention, UNDP,
UNFPA, UN Women and UNV have worked together to undertake the UN
Multi-country Study on Men and Violence in Asia and the Pacific. The
study, which collected and analysed data from thousands of women and men
across the region, provides the largest multi-country data set on men's
perpetration of violence against women and can inform more
evidence-based interventions to prevent such violence. Ending violence
against women requires coherent policies and programmes that emphasize
gender equality as non-negotiable and the transformation of social
norms. Sustainable development, peace and security can only be achieved
when caring and respectful relations among women, men, boys and girls
become the norm.

To contact the list administrator, or to leave the list, send an email
to: wunrn_listserve-request at lists.wunrn.com. Thank you.

--
The 16 Days Team
16 Days of Activism Against Gender-Based Violence Campaign

What Does Security Mean to You?  Join us in redefining security from the ground up: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/cwglsecurityproject