[16days_discussion] Syrian refugees struggle to protect daughters from exploitation

16 Days Campaign 16days at cwgl.rutgers.edu
Mon Aug 12 12:35:57 EDT 2013

      Syrian refugees struggle to protect daughters from exploitation
      <http://www.hrw.org/news/2013/08/07/syrian-refugees-struggle-protect-daughters-exploitation>

Author(s):
Hillary Margolis
Published in:
Global Post
<http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/commentary/syrian-refugees-struggle-protect-daughters-exploitation#1>
August 7, 2013

When I met them in early June, Abu Nizar, his wife and their three
daughters --- aged 22, 18 and 14 --- were perched on threadbare
mattresses in a rundown house in Ramtha, Jordan
<http://www.globalpost.com/internal/section-config/jordan>, where they
survive on charity from the local community. Blankets covered the
windows to keep out the mid-afternoon heat. Inside, a musty darkness
hovered.

Abu Nazir pays almost 300 Jordanian dinars per month --- nearly $424 ---
for rent and utilities. Alone, he and his wife could rent a room for 70
dinars. He said to me, only half-joking, "Of course my daughters need to
get married --- it will lift the burden off of me!"

A doctor from Dubai asked to marry Abu Nizar's 22-year-old daughter,
Rima, and he seriously considered the proposal. "He's related to people
who live upstairs. He's a doctor, he has studied," Abu Nizar told me.

Ultimately, Abu Nizar refused the offer. With her identity documents
left behind during their flight from Syria, Rima would not be granted
the passport and authorization to accompany her new husband to Dubai,
leaving her vulnerable to becoming a so-called "pleasure" wife,
abandoned after a short stint of marriage.

"A lot of women ask us here in Jordan if we want to marry our
daughters," Abu Nizar said. "We say no because we can't guarantee her
rights here."

The focus on Syrian refugee women and girls has largely centered on
accounts of forced and early marriage as a coping mechanism. Yet during
investigative missions to Lebanon
<http://www.globalpost.com/internal/section-config/lebanon> and Jordan
by Human Rights Watch in March and June, I found that many Syrian
families remain determined to protect their daughters from violence and
exploitation.

While there are some reported cases of early or forced marriage, we have
not found evidence that marriage patterns differ substantially from
those in pre-conflict Syria. However, inadequate international
assistance and the threat of ongoing poverty could eventually lead
refugees to desperate measures, including exploitative marriages.

In early July, the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) reported that over 1.7
million registered Syrian refugees are living in neighboring countries;
more than three quarters are women and children. UNHCR estimates that
urban and rural host communities --- rather than camps --- house 77
percent of Syrian refugees in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq
<http://www.globalpost.com/internal/section-config/iraq> and Turkey
<http://www.globalpost.com/internal/section-config/turkey>.

Refugee sites I visited are overcrowded, lack resources and are
underserved. The expanding refugee population is straining already
scarce water, food, housing and employment in receiving countries,
causing rising tensions with host communities.

Refugees reported apprehension about seeking assistance from local
police and security forces, some of whom, they believe, may be corrupt,
abusive or unwilling to help. Scant support for generating income or
rent and insufficient humanitarian assistance are creating heightened
desperation as refugees seek to sustain their families and escape
long-term dependence.

Women and girls are particularly vulnerable. Aid agencies say reports of
domestic violence have increased since the refugee crisis began, a
common outcome amid the stress, disruption and idleness of refugee
settings and poor access to resources and services for women and girls.
Social constraints and fear limit their mobility, restricting their
access to income-generating activities or health and other critical
services.

Whether based in fact or rumor, refugees' belief that women and girls
face danger outside the home creates a very real barrier to using
facilities, from clinics and schools to latrines. Yasmin, in her
thirties and living in Jordan's Zaatari camp, said: "We make a bathroom
in our tent to use at night." A new UN Women assessment says that male
relatives restrict women's movement in Jordan's urban refugee areas to
protect them from harm.

In interviews in Lebanon and Jordan, aid agencies and refugees confirmed
that refugees remain largely unaware of available services, especially
outside of camps. Services are often out of easy reach, and women must
secure transportation or child care to use them.

Aliyah, 20, described trying to register for humanitarian aid when I met
her in Beirut in March: "I would have to go [to UNHCR] all day, take the
children with me, wait three months for an interview. That's what
happened to my sister-in-law." Aliyah said the cost of a shared taxi
prohibited her from going to the local branch of an international
non-governmental organization to seek assistance.

The inability to sustain a household and access key resources makes
women --- in particular, those who head households --- vulnerable to
high-risk situations, including exploitative work or housing
arrangements, dependence on others for food and other necessities, and
early or forced marriage.

The international community needs to bolster protection for displaced
women and girls by increasing their economic well being and developing
and improving access to services.

Women need rent subsidies in non-camp settings, opportunities to
increase their skills, cash for work assistance programs, and
income-generating activities. Ensuring greater access to services
requires not only outreach to increase awareness, but also creative
solutions such as programs that meet multiple needs in one location,
mobile services, transportation and child care, and group assistance for
safety and security.

To respond to the many needs of women and girls, United Nations member
states and other donors should fund the $2 billion-plus gap that remains

Donor countries that value rights for Syria's women and girls should
ensure that this includes significant investment in concrete measures to
reduce their vulnerability.

--
The 16 Days Team
16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence Campaign
Email: 16days at cwgl.rutgers.edu
Website: http://www.cwgl.rutgers.edu

What Does Security Mean to You?  Join us in redefining security from the ground up: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/cwglsecurityproject