[16days_discussion] Violence Against Women in Canada

16 Days Campaign 16days at cwgl.rutgers.edu
Fri Aug 2 11:04:43 EDT 2013

  Violence Against Women in Canada: the absence of data and a national
  strategy costs us all

Published on Wed, 2013-07-24 22:00

A study released and authored by CCPA research associate and member of
the Coordinating Committee of Social Watch Kate McInturff, says that
progress on ending violence against women in Canada is stalled by the
absence of a coherent national policy and consistent information about
the levels of that violence.

"The difficulty of collecting data about violence against women has been
a barrier to progress in ending that violence," says the study's author
Kate McInturff. "However, the data that does exist tells us three things
very clearly: this problem is big, it comes at a high cost, and we are
making little or no progress in putting a stop to it."

The study estimates the combined cost of adult sexual assault and
intimate partner violence is $334 per person per year in Canada. This
puts the cost of these crimes on par with the cost of the use of illegal
drugs in Canada (an estimated $262 per person) or the cost of smoking
(an estimated $541 per person). Federal public spending to address
violence against women, on the other hand, amounted to $2.77 per person
for the 2011-2012 fiscal year.

"We can put an end to violence against women. Federal and provincial
governments have an important role to play in doing so," says McInturff.
"In order to be more effective, we need more information about the
nature and scope of the problem, a coherent and coordinated plan to
address the problem, and adequate political, financial, and human
resources put behind that plan."

The study makes several recommendations on how to improve the situation,
including: the implementation of regular, sensitive, detailed surveys of
incidence of sexual assault and intimate partner violence; and a
coherent, coordinated, well-resourced national action plan to address
violence against women.

"This problem affects too many Canadians and comes with too great a
personal and public cost for Canada to continue on its current path.
Without a significant investment of political, financial, and human
resources, we will see levels of violence against women continue to
remain at the current level. Canada can do better. Millions of Canadians
and billions of dollars depend on it," McInturff concludes.

/Source:/ CCPA.
See more at:
http://www.policyalternatives.ca/publications/reports/gap-gender-gap

--
The 16 Days Team
16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence Campaign
Email: 16days at cwgl.rutgers.edu
Website: http://www.cwgl.rutgers.edu

What Does Security Mean to You?  Join us in redefining security from the ground up: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/cwglsecurityproject