[16days_discussion] Rape Culture

Kathleen Sloan kathysloan128 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 13:48:05 EDT 2012

Thank you Jeanne for your thoughtful response and the important information
you've shared.  It is vitally important to get this kind of information
into the public sphere and that must largely come through media attention.
 It is often difficult to get the media to pay attention to these issues
but the efforts by women's rights groups must continue, particularly
through collaboration.

The obscenity of the hunts and torture you raise are also related to
domestic violence.  In this patriarchal world of male domination and
violence of every kind, the tactics of imprisonment, sexual assault & rape,
torture, threats and brutal physical assaults are all employed by domestic
violence perpetrators against their victims.  Animal abuse and torture is
also characteristic of batterers.  It is essential to connect the dots
between these myriad manifestations of male violence inculcated
and enabled by patriarchal culture and power.

Kathy Sloan
National Organization for Women (NOW)
Board of Directors