[16days_discussion] [event/fundraiser] Guatemala human rights

Jo tgifeminist at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 23:32:28 EDT 2012

Greetings,

As some of you may know, I serve on the Board for the Guatemala Human Rights Commission (GHRC) - www.ghrc-usa.org  In fact, I'm going on my fourth year as a Member and Secretary! This is an organization that is important to me because they are fighting violence against women in Guatemala, a country which has one of the highest rates of femicide in the Western Hemisphere.

And, as some of you also know, we're celebrating our 30th year of human rights work in Guatemala!

I'm hoping you could do one of three things to help this incredible organization out:
1.) Buy a raffle ticket for a chance to win a $500 gift certificate on an airline, a case of Guatemala fair trade coffee, or a gorgeous embroidered table liner (donated by yours truly).You do not have to be present to win!
2.) Spend a night (Sept. 27) eating, drinking, chatting, and grooving to some awesome music all in support of a great cause.
3.) Forward this email far and wide to your networks! (come on, this is an easy one!!)

The event tickets are $50 ($25 for Guatemalans) and include copious amount of food and drinks!  What a deal!  We have been working hard to get just about everything donated for the evening so you can be assured that almost all of that $$ will go back into the organization.  We will also be presenting our first annual Alice Zachmann Human Rights Defender Award (in honor of GHRC's founder - http://refugemediaproject.org/blog/2011/01/13/sister-alice-honored/) and some *very* special guests will be in attendance like Jennifer Harbury and (we hope) Helen Mack (http://www.wola.org/publications/statement_of_senator_patrick_leahy_on_justice_and_police_reform_in_guatemala)

Here is the link to purchase tickets. I hope you can join us.
http://ghrcusa.wordpress.com/2012/06/29/buy-your-tickets-to-ghrcs-30th-anniversary-celebration/

And, if not, please consider supporting GHRC in 30 other ways:
http://ghrcusa.wordpress.com/2012/09/05/30-ways-to-support-ghrc/

Thank you so much. I truly appreciate anything you could do to help. Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions, requests for raffle tickets, or anything else.

All the best,
Joan Dawson
joan_dawson at ymail.com