[16days_discussion] At Women Day in Cameroon, Men on High Heel Steal Show

Mr.Bamenda Organisation mr_bamenda at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 16 05:09:17 EDT 2012

A Common
Future

Flat 5,
NWCA Building

     Commercial Avenue, Bamenda

     P O Box 747 Mnakon-Bamenda

        North West Region, Cameroon

           Email: acommonfuture1 at yahoo.com

website: www.freetocharities.org.uk/acf

Cell 237 77 85 24 76

                     Men
in Women’s Shoes March on International Day of the Woman to protest
against
Rape, Sexual Assault and Gender Violence in Society.

        Men in Women's Shoes
March

In a bid to show solidarity for women in Cameroon and to mobilize men to
 ending
violence against women, A Common Future organization mobilized men in
the North
West Region of Cameroon last March 08, 2012, which was the International
 Day
for the women to walk a km on women's high-heeled shoes  at Commercial
Avenue,
Bamenda.

A Common Future's immediate action  was in urging men to take time off
last
March 08,2012 to walk a mile in women's shoes to feel the pinch of
gender-based
violence. And those who marched felt it: ‘Now I really see what women
pass
through’, says Derick Chuo, President of the Bamenda Roller Skaters
Association
and participant at the event. ‘I can now respect my mother, I never know
 how
difficult and challenging it is for women to move on high heeled shoes’,
 says
Divine, a participant at the march. This walk was A Common Future's own
response to the UN Secretary General's call to men to be committed to
ending
violence especially domestic violence against women. The objective of
the march
was to raise awareness and funds in an effort to curb the rate of
domestic
violence on women and child theft in Cameroon hospitals as well as
sympathize
with Vanessa Tchachuoa, the young girl whose child was stolen recently
in a Yaoundé
hospital.

The men in women's shoes walkathon builds on the initial effort of ‘Walk
 A Mile
in Her Shoes’ and the old saying that 'You can't really understand
another
person's experience until you've put on her shoes to know where it
pinches'.
That is why men were asked to show commitment to ending violence against
 women
by putting on a pair of high heeled shoes last March 08,2012 and join  A
Common Future to walk a mile with the more than 50 women groups that
turned out
for the event at the Bamenda Commercial Avenue. ‘I am deeply surprised
and
excited with your level of commitment’, says Judith Abong, NorthWest
Regional
Delegate for Women Empoerment and the Family, after the march. By doing
this we
are all going to help end violence against women in this region noted
for its
aggressive culture toward women. We seek partnership and collaboration
with the
Roller Skaters Association and Vegas Family Foundation for the event.
Vegas
Family Foundation proudly provided the shoes and transportation to and
fro the
event site.  We would want to reach out
to other foundations and individuals for the upcoming Brides March and
Men’s walkathon
in November for the 16 Days of Activism.

In addition to empowering women and girls to protect themselves, A
Common
Future's activities in the coming years will address sources and
perpetrators
of violence whether actual or potential. This requires hands-on
engagement with
men and boys to help shift attitudes about the use of violence and
empower men
as responsible agents of social change. Through this kind of outreach,
harmful
societal norms can be challenged and a healthier construction of
masculinities-
which does not subjugate women-can be created.

A Common Future recognizes that while
men
remain the primary perpetrators of violence against women, they also
need to be
central to the solution to ending it, as Ban Ki Moon, UNSG declared at
the
launch of a Network of Men Leaders in 2009. After the walkathon, a men's
programme with the objective of carrying out intensive gender-sensitive
training for men shall be launched. Role model and mentorship programmes
 for
boys in schools and colleges as well as engaging men in community
development issues
that include sexual and reproductive health and climate change
programmes shall
be intensified.

Created in 2007, A Common Future works with men and women in ending
violence
against women, girls and children, by proposing alternative models of
masculinities
that are not necessarily in opposition to models of femininity and that
allow
men and women as well as boys and girls to share love, decision making
and reproductive
health responsibilities.

For further information and for a complete plan of activities and others
 view
our website at www.freetocharities.org.uk/acf. You can also contact
Co-Founders
Gwain Colbert and
Dountio Saadeo
Relindis through numbers plus 237 77 85 24 76 or plus 237 70 100 881 or
email:
acommonfuture1 at yahoo.com

Gwain Colbert Fulai

P.O. Box 747 Mankon, Bamenda.