[16days_discussion] New Film About Bosnian Rape Camps

Kathleen Sloan kathysloan128 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 13:07:49 EST 2012

Lynn Parramore's thoughtful review of Angelina Jolie's directorial debut
film "In the Land of Blood and Honey" about the rape camps in Bosnia puts
the situation in the larger context in which it must be seen.  What was a
revelation to me was her pointing out that U.S. policy during the American
Civil War officially sanctioned rape by Union soldiers of Confederate
women.  As Abraham Lincoln is always so lionized, she points out that he
ignored pleas to cancel the decree . . . *his*tory indeed!

http://www.alternet.org/story/153631/angelina_jolie_film_illuminates_rape_as_a_war_crime%E2%80%94but_politics_are_murky?page=entire

Another provocative film is Pedro Almadovar's "The Skin I Live In" which
I'd love to hear anyone's comments on who's seen it.  I just saw it and my
initial disgusted reaction in the first half of the film over yet more
sexual objectification of women was absolutely turned on its head in the
second half.  I assert that this film would never be made by a straight man
(Almadovar - Spain's most celebrated filmmaker - is gay).

Happy New Year everyone,
Kathy Sloan
National Organization for Women (NOW)
Board of Directors
Global Feminist Strategies & Issues Committee
www.now.org