[16days_discussion] Fw: Fwd: From the White House Blog: We Want to Hear from You

loren jones ns27jones at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 20 14:10:51 EST 2012

Loren Jones

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: Sonia Rastogi <sbrastogi at womenhiv.org>
To: pwn-steering2009 at googlegroups.com
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2012 7:15 AM
Subject: Fwd: From the White House Blog: We Want to Hear from You

PWNers check this out. Let's flood their inbox!!

sent from iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Donna Crews <dcrews at aidsunited.org>
>Date: December 20, 2012 4:04:45 AM EST
>To: "30for30campaign at googlegroups.com" <30for30campaign at googlegroups.com>
>Subject: Fwd: From the White House Blog: We Want to Hear from You

FYI

>Comments requested by January 20th
>

>Donna
>

>Donna Crews
>Director of Government Affairs
>AIDS United
>1424K Street, NW
>Washington, DC 20005
>202-408-4848 x 248
>202-595-4165 cell

Sent from my iPad

>Begin forwarded message:
>

>From: "Borrin, Danielle" <Danielle_Borrin at ovp.eop.gov>
>>Date: December 19, 2012, 6:54:19 PM EST
>>To: "Borrin, Danielle" <Danielle_Borrin at ovp.eop.gov>
>>Subject: From the White House Blog: We Want to Hear from You
>>

>>**We just wanted to draw your attention to a new blogpost by Dr. Grant Colfax, Director of the Office of National AIDS Policy, and Lynn Rosenthal, White House Advisor on Violence Against Women. The blogpost is also available online here: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/12/19/we-want-hear-you
>>We Want to Hear from You
>>Posted by Dr. Grant Colfax and Lynn Rosenthal on December 19, 2012 at 03:49 PM EST
>>
>>As we commemorated World AIDS Day earlier this month, the importance of addressing the needs of women and girls as part of the National HIV/AIDS Strategy was clear. While we have made tremendous progress in learning how to prevent and treat HIV, including among women and girls, much work remains.  Of the approximately 1.1 million people living with HIV/AIDS in the United States, about 290,000 are women and women account for 23 percent of new HIV infections.
>>
>>This Administration has made combating the HIV/AIDS epidemic a priority. For women, that includes addressing gender-based violence and gender related health disparities.  This violence can increase the risks women and girls face of acquiring HIV while decreasing
 their ability to seek prevention, treatment, and health services.

>>As directed by the National HIV/AIDS Strategy, federal agencies are collaborating and coordinating in an unprecedented manner to decrease new HIV/AIDS infections, improve HIV-related outcomes, and reduce HIV-related disparities.  To continue this collaborative approach, President Obama issued a Presidential Memorandum in March 2012, establishing an interagency working group on the intersection of HIV/AIDS, violence against women and girls, and gender-related health disparities.
>>
>>The working group includes representatives from the Departments of Justice, Interior, Health and Human Services, Education, Homeland Security, Veterans Affairs, Housing and Urban Development, and the Office of Management and Budget. We are also tapping into
 the wealth of expertise and experience of members of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS as well as our global Federal partners from the Department of State, the United States Agency for International Development, and the Gender Technical Working
 Group from the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).

>>The interagency group is charged with developing recommendations that focus on increasing public awareness of the intersection of HIV/AIDS, violence against women and girls, and gender related health disparities; sharing best practices and gender specific strategies
 aimed at addressing women’s risks and vulnerability to HIV/AIDS and violence; and prioritizing the needs of women of color who make up the majority of women living with and at risk of HIV infection in the United States.

>>Since June 2012, working group members have met regularly to pursue this mission of interagency coordination and the development of recommendations. We believe that it is critical to obtain input from as many stakeholders as possible regarding the issues the
 working group is addressing.  So we want to hear from you.