[16days_discussion] Take Back The Tech! 2011 - Map it, end it, take back the tech!

Jac sm Kee jac at apcwomen.org
Thu Nov 10 00:21:58 EST 2011

Hello everyone,

Sharing our plans for this year's Take Back The Tech! 16 days
campaign. Hope you can join us in mapping and documenting cases of
violence against women. Please feel free to pass on the call and share
the resources on using the internet safely for women and girls :)

Looking forward to a fantastic campaign this year!
jac

***********************
Take Back the Tech!
Take control of technology to end violence against women
25 Nov - 10 Dec 2011
www.takebackthetech.net
***********************
Map it. End it. Take Back the Tech!
===================================
Stories can change the world. Yet there are many stories that remain
untold because there is no name for them, because of shame, and
because they lay hidden beneath everyday acceptance. These are stories
of violence that women and girls face all over the world.

But the world is changing. We are increasingly networked, and this
connection has created immense possibilities to share unheard
realities, to organise and come together for collective action, to
shape and define a world that is more equal, inclusive of diversity,
and that does not tolerate discrimination.

At the same time, violence is also taking place online. Cases of
online harassment, cyberstalking, violation of privacy and violence
targeted at groups of people online due to their gender or sexual
identity and politics are growing. Worse, many of these experiences
remain untold and undocumented. Their invisibility and our seeming
acceptance inflect online spaces and practices with a culture that
seems willing to tolerate acts of violence against women.

?This year we call on campaigners to collectively gather evidence for
transformation, strengthen our capacity for safer experiences online
and amplify our rights in addressing technology-related violence
against women. Take control of technology to end violence against women.
?
*How can you take back the tech?*?

- -----------------
?1) Map your story
- -----------------
Share your experiences and knowledge on technology-related violence
against women. Tell your own stories, ask someone you know to share
hers, or join with others to document cases that have appeared in the
news. Every story is important. ??Map it on the Take Back the Tech!
online platform and collectively build a body of evidence on the
reality and dimensions of violence that takes places online and
through mobile phones against women and girls. Make the invisible
visible and demand for change. ??We will be focussing on 5 areas of
violence against women with detailed instructions on how to take
action and document your stories during the 16 days. They are:

*a. Culturally-justified violence against women (25 November 2011)*
Cultural norms and attitudes support the perpetuation of violence
against women in hidden and explicit ways. It can be something as
thoughtless as forwarding a sexist joke that supports the idea that
women are less valuable than men and are nothing more than mute
sexualised objects, to starting a Facebook group that promotes
different ways to rape girlfriends. How has culture played a role in
acts of violence against women where you are?

??*b. Online harassment and cyberstalking (28 November 2011)*
Mobile phones, social networking spaces like Orkut and geolocation
tools like Foursquare have helped us stay connected with each other.
At the same time, they have been used by abusers to track our
networks, friends, movements and activities. Countless women all over
the world have received harassing SMS messages and become fearful of
being watched by people who mean them harm, which affects their
ability to freely and fully participate in their societies. Have you
experienced or heard of cases of online harassment or cyberstalking?
Share your story.?

*c. Intimate partner violence (1 December 2011)*
Technology has enabled couples to express themselves to each other by
creating and documenting private moments and communication through
video, photographs and more. But intimate partners rarely discuss
privacy issues, such as when to delete private images, and what
happens when the relationship breaks down. Women?s rights
organisations have received increasing calls from women who are afraid
to leave abusive relationships due to threats of disclosure of private
and intimate communications by their partners. How do you see
technology in the context of intimate partner violence?

??*d. Sexual assault and rape (4 December 2011)*
Boys and girls in a school in South Africa stood by when one of their
schoolmates was raped in front of them. Not only did they fail to
intervene, they recorded the rape with their mobile phones and passed
the images around. In another case, a woman in the US was raped when a
former boyfriend posted personal information about her on an online ad
listing that called for ?a real aggressive man with no concern for
women.? Technology can play a role in perpetuating violence by endless
copying and widespread distribution, or by helping perpetrators seek
or post false information about their victims. Has it happened where
you are?

??*e. Violence targeting communities because of their gender or sexual
identity and politics (7 December 2011)*
The websites of many women?s rights organisations have been hacked
because of their stance on gender equality and feminism. Women
bloggers who were outspoken about discrimination have also faced
overwhelming attacks and messages that aim to disrupt their ability to
express themselves online. Online communities and groups have been set
up that call for violence against groups of people because of their
gender or sexual identity, including transgenders, pro-choice
advocates and lesbians. Do you know of any instances where technology
has been used to target a community because of their gender or sexual
identity and politics? ?

- --------------------------?
2. Strengthen your skills
- --------------------------
The more we understand how internet technology and services work, the
more we can take control and shape the online spaces we occupy. How
can you use internet and communication technologies in a way that
protects your privacy and safety? What are some strategies and tools
that are available?

??We will be sharing resources and how-tos throughout the 16 days on
secure online communication tools and practices. They include
information on geolocation and tagging, social networking use and
practices, mobile phones security, portable apps and good privacy
practices in online communication. ??

Build your skills, add to the pool of knowledge, teach someone, share
the resources and recommend changes to technology platforms that
prioritise privacy and security for all users. ?

- ------------------------------?
3. Exercise your rights online
- ------------------------------
Technology-related violence against women creates unsafe online spaces
that compromise our ability to freely express ourselves, access
information and build communities. They violate our rights to privacy,
autonomy, bodily integrity and security. This in turn, impacts on our
ability to fully participate in shaping the society we live in. ??

Define technology that supports the fulfillment of women's human
rights! ?During the 16 days, take creative action that amplifies our
collective stance on the promotion of rights on the internet. Join us
throughout the campaign period, or start your own campaign.??

*Here are some ideas:*?
1) Create digital postcards that unmask cultural justifications of
violence against women and send them to your Minister.
2) Change the script of sexist ads by creating your own subtitles and
spread them on social networking spaces.?
3) Start a viral campaign to demand for better privacy protection from
online service providers.
?4) Make a list of top feminist children's storybooks. Pass it to your
local library.
?5) Occupy online spaces and populate them with icons, messages and
calls for an end to violence against women.
?6) Start a #16days twitter dialogue on promoting women's rights
online. ??

Share your campaign idea! Send us an email on
ideas at takebackthetech.net, or tweet us: @takebackthetech. ??If you are
interested in starting a local Take Back the Tech! campaign, or wish
to organise any of the activities above, contact us and we'll be more
than happy to brainstorm with you and feature your action.

?Take Back the Tech!
www.takebackthetech.net