[16days_discussion] 16 Days Campaign Update: Only Three Weeks Away!

16 Days 16days at cwgl.rutgers.edu
Wed Nov 2 13:18:56 EDT 2011

Dear Friends,

The 21^st annual 16 Days Campaign will be kicking off in just a few
weeks, and here at the Center for Women's Global Leadership, we are
incredibly excited by the plans underway across the globe to make this
year's campaign a wonderful success!You can see that we already have
events posted from around the world on the Campaign Calendar
<http://16dayscwgl.rutgers.edu/campaign-calendar>, but we need your help
to fill the calendar. Submitting an event to the calendar is a great way
to spread the word about your work and be recognized as a participating
organization! Tell us how you're going to be part of the movement -
whether it's holding a vigil, writing a blog or news article, hosting a
radio show, screening a film, campaigning on the street, holding
awareness-raising programs, or talking to friends about the issue...
every action contributes toward making the world a safer place for women
and girls!

*What Does "Security" Mean To You?*
http://16dayscwgl.rutgers.edu/2011-campaign/qwhat-is-securityq-submissions

  Often when we hear about security, it is in terms of the State:
military, police, private armies or other "security sector" agents. Do
these armed forces really make us feel safer? How does violence in our
community or home affect our overall security as women? What does human
security mean to you? Leading up to this year's 16 Days Campaign, "From
Peace in the Home to Peace in the World," we are trying to define what
security means to all of us. Join us in redefining security from the
ground up! Submit your thoughts or create a 30-second YouTube video and
send us the link. CWGL will be sharing your ideas and testimonies on the
16 Days website. Your submissions will help guide our advocacy on state
spending priorities.

*_Online Campaign Calendar_*
http://16dayscwgl.rutgers.edu/campaign-calendar/submit-an-event

To help spread the word about 16 Day Campaign activities happening
around the world, you can submit your plans to our online Campaign
Calendar. We ask that you submit just _one entry_ that lists _all_ of
your plans during the campaign, rather than submitting a separate event
form for each activity. You can also upload several documents that
explain your events. The calendar is searchable by region and country.
Submit your information today and spread the word!!

*_Check out our Facebook Page_*

Are you on Facebook? Become a fan of "The Official 16 Days of Activism
Against Gender Violence Campaign" fan page
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Official-16-Days-of-Activism-Against-Gender-Violence-Campaign/134783551561>
to receive updates about what's happening around the world. So far we
have nearly 15,000 fans - let's see if we can grow that number even more!

*_This Week's Featured 16 Days Websites_*
*
Gender and Development Committee, Romania -- Nationwide 16 Days Arts
Competition*

http://gad16zile.wordpress.com/

*Jwandoon, Pakistan -- Online Art & Writing "16 Days" Competition!*

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=185006351578526

*National Center Against Violence, Mongolia -- National 16 Day Campaign*

http://16daysmongoliaenglish.weebly.com/

**

*The WomenSpeak Project -- Profiles of Caribbean Activists*

http://womenspeak.tumblr.com/

/Do you have a 16 Days website or resource that you would like featured
in the next e-Update? Please email //16days at cwgl.rutgers.edu/
<mailto:16days at cwgl.rutgers.edu>/with the details!/

*_Take Action Kits_*

The Take Action Kit materials are available electronically in several
languages on our website:
http://16dayscwgl.rutgers.edu/2011-campaign/2011-take-action-kit.
Additional translations of the theme announcement can be found here:
http://16dayscwgl.rutgers.edu/2011-campaign/theme-announcement.

*Additional translations:* If are interested in volunteering your time
to translate any of the kit materials into another language, please
contact us at 16days at cwgl.rutgers.edu <mailto:16days at cwgl.rutgers.edu>.
We will gladly share these translations on the 16 Days website so that
they can be shared with other groups around the world!

Best wishes for a successful campaign!
Julie Ann Salthouse, 16 Days Campaign Coordinator

--
16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence Campaign
Email: 16days at cwgl.rutgers.edu
Website: http://www.cwgl.rutgers.edu