[16days_discussion] Fwd: Call for 2011 Online Media Training - World Pulse

Keely Swan kcswan at rci.rutgers.edu
Wed Jul 20 12:24:56 EDT 2011

Apologies for cross-posting!

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Call for 2011 Online Media Training - World Pulse
Date: 	Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:08:58 +0100
From: 	WUNRN ListServe <list at WUNRN.COM>
To: 	WUNRN_ListServe at LISTS.WUNRN.COM

WUNRN
http://www.wunrn.com
http://www.worldpulse.com/pulsewire/groups/37925
*CALL FOR 2011 WORLD PULSE VOICE OF OUR FUTURE APPLICATIONS *
Welcome to the Voices of Our Future Applicants group! By joining this
group, you are embarking on an exciting journey to the frontiers of new
media and global women?s empowerment.
*What is Voices of Our Future?*

Voices of Our Future is an online training program in new media, citizen
journalism, and empowerment for *emerging grassroots women leaders*. At
the end of the application process, thirty applicants will be selected
to become Correspondents and take part in the full five-month long
program where they will gain the tools and knowledge to vocalize and
actualize their visions for change. Specifically, Correspondents will
learn about the principles of practicing ethical citizen journalism; how
to write compelling frontline journals, profiles, feature stories, and
op-eds; how to use new media to amplify their voices; and the basics of
digital storytelling.

        Benefits of the program include:

    * New media and citizen journalism training via phone and Internet
      by renowned experts, including program partners The Press
      Institute <http://www.globalpressinstitute.org/> and The Op-Ed
      Project <http://www.theopedproject.org/>
    * Personal coaching sessions and support via phone and Internet from
      a Vision Advocate
    * Opportunities for publication through World Pulse and partner
      media organizations
    * Opportunities to connect with grassroots women leaders from around
      the globe
    * Personal development, including increased self-awareness,
      confidence, and empowered leadership
    * Professional development, including improved skills in new media,
      citizen journalism, and networking
    * Nurturing and collaborative relationships with women, and our
      allies, across the globe
    * Increased visibility for issues and challenges faced by you and
      your community
    * Technology stipend to offset communication costs*

        How Do We Select Applicants?

During the course of the application process, you will be given a set of
learning materials each week (for a total of four (4) weeks) through the
Voices of Our Future Applicants Classroom, and asked to complete an
associated writing assignment. A panel of staff and selected volunteers,
called Listeners, will choose 30 applicants based on the following
criteria:

    * Completion of all assignments
    * Expression of a positive vision for the future and
      solutions-oriented writing
    * Commitment to promote global issues through the eyes of women
    * Communication of personal experience as an underrepresented voice
      in your community, nation, or world; living in a developing
      country or conflict zone; or facing discrimination on the basis of
      gender, sexual orientation, race, or social class
    * Demonstration of leadership on a personal, community, national, or
      global level

You will have the opportunity to demonstrate the above criteria through
your writing assignments and through your interaction with staff, other
applicants, and our online community on PulseWire. We encourage you to
reach out during this process and begin to build (or expand!) your own
online community and discover the amazing women who are active on
PulseWire every day. Read about the women who participated in Voices of
Our Future in 2009
<http://www.worldpulse.com/pulsewire/programs/voices-of-our-future-2009>, and
2010
<http://www.worldpulse.com/pulsewire/programs/world-pulse-voices-of-our-future>
and add them to your community!

        How do I apply?

The application embodies the spirit of new media. You will need regular
and reliable access to the Internet throughout.

*Step 1:* Join this group by September 5, 2011. Simply click on the
orange "Join this group" button above. If you are not currently
registered or logged in to PulseWire, you will be taken to the Login |
Registration page. Once you have completed the registration, you will be
directed back to this page, and then you can click the Join button
above. This group serves as a space where you can ask questions and
receive feedback and support from World Pulse staff and other applicants.

*Step 2:* If you were not previously registered for a PulseWire account,
after you click ?Create New Account? a welcome e-mail will be sent to
the e-mail address you used to register. You MUST log into your e-mail
account, open this message, and click on the link to verify your account
before you can post in PulseWire.

*Step 3:* After you have joined this group, please read the post titled
?Welcome to the Voices of Our Future Applicants Group 2011.?
<http://www.worldpulse.com/node/39797> This post can be found under the
Group Journal tab at the top of the page.

*Step 4: Please fill out the short intake survey before September 6th
(required). Go to http://bit.ly/kb4cXP. *

*Step 4:* From September 6th through October 3rd, applicants will be
given a series of four (4) sets of learning materials and assignments to
complete. The materials are divided into: Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week
4. You can go to the classroom by clicking *Application Classroom
<http://www.worldpulse.com/voices-of-our-future-application-classroom>*.
We suggest you bookmark this page for easy use.

*Step 5:* Read through the learning materials and complete the writing
assignment by the due date. Post your assignment in your journal,
carefully following directions for tagging.

Our panel of staff and Listeners will choose the top 30 most impressive
applicants based on the criteria above by October 31st.

Don't miss out on this unique opportunity to speak for yourself to the
world and advance your dreams for social change.

*Apply Today!*

        Important Dates

September 5, 2011 	Last day to join Voices of Our Future Applicants group.
September 6, 2011 	Application process begins.
September 12, 2011 	Week One Assignment due.
September 19, 2011 	Week Two Assignment due.
September 26, 2011 	Week Three Assignment due.
October 3, 2011 	Week Four Assignment due; Application process ends.
October 31, 2011 	Correspondents announced!
November 15, 2011 	Voices of Our Future Program begins.
April 7, 2012 	Voices of Our Future Program ends.

*/We welcome women's organizations, NGOs, and other civil society groups
to encourage women in your networks to apply for this exciting
opportunity./*

/For complete rules, click here.
<http://www.worldpulse.com/about/vof-rules>/
/*Stipends will be determined based on individual need and circumstance./
/For any further questions, please feel free to contact
scott at worldpulse.com/