[16days_discussion] A Call to Action from Indigenous and Women of Color Feminists

Center for Women's Global Leadership cwgl at rci.rutgers.edu
Fri Jul 15 14:49:36 EDT 2011

*Justice for Palestine

A Call to Action from Indigenous and Women of Color Feminists*

Between June 14 and June 23, 2011, a delegation of 11 scholars,
activists, and artists visited occupied Palestine. As indigenous and
women of color feminists involved in multiple social justice struggles,
we sought to affirm our association with the growing international
movement for a free Palestine. We wanted to see for ourselves the
conditions under which Palestinian people live and struggle against what
we can now confidently name as the Israeli project of apartheid and
ethnic cleansing. Each and every one of us---including those members of
our delegation who grew up in the Jim Crow South, in apartheid South
Africa, and on Indian reservations in the U.S.---was shocked by what we
saw. In this statement we describe some of our experiences and issue an
urgent call to others who share our commitment to racial justice,
equality, and freedom.

During our short stay in Palestine, we met with academics, students,
youth, leaders of civic organizations, elected officials, trade
unionists, political leaders, artists, and civil society activists, as
well as residents of refugee camps and villages that have been recently
attacked by Israeli soldiers and settlers. Everyone we encountered---in
Nablus, Awarta, Balata, Jerusalem, Hebron, Dheisheh, Bethlehem, Birzeit,
Ramallah, Um el-Fahem, and Haifa---asked us to tell the truth about life
under occupation and about their unwavering commitment to a free
Palestine. We were deeply impressed by people's insistence on the
linkages between the movement for a free Palestine and struggles for
justice throughout the world; as Martin Luther King, Jr. insisted
throughout his life, "Justice is indivisible. Injustice anywhere is a
threat to justice everywhere."

Traveling by bus throughout the country, we saw vast numbers of Israeli
settlements ominously perched in the hills, bearing witness to the
systematic confiscation of
Palestinian land in flagrant violation of international law and United
Nations resolutions. We met with refugees across the country whose
families had been evicted from their homes by Zionist forces, their land
confiscated, their villages and olive groves razed. As a consequence of
this ongoing displacement, Palestinians comprise the largest refugee
population in the world (over five million), the majority living within
100 kilometers of their natal homes, villages, and farmlands. In
defiance of United Nations Resolution 194, Israel has an active policy
of opposing the right of Palestinian refugees to return to their
ancestral homes and lands on the grounds that they are not entitled to
exercise the Israeli Law of Return, which is reserved for Jews.

In Sheikh Jarrah, a neighborhood in eastern occupied Jerusalem, we met
an 88-year old woman who was forcibly evicted in the middle of the
night; she watched as the Israeli military moved settlers into her house
a mere two hours later. Now living in the small back rooms of what was
once her large family residence, she defiantly asserted that neither
Israel's courts nor its military could ever force her from her home. In
the city of Hebron, we were stunned by the conspicuous presence of
Israeli soldiers, who maintain veritable conditions of apartheid for the
city's Palestinian population of almost 200,000, as against its 700
Jewish settlers. We crossed several Israeli checkpoints designed to
control Palestinian movement on West Bank roads and along the Green
Line. Throughout our stay, we met Palestinians who, because of Israel's
annexation of Jerusalem and plans to remove its native population, have
been denied entry to the Holy City. We spoke to a man who lives ten
minutes away from Jerusalem but who has not been able to enter the city
for twenty-seven years. The Israeli government thus continues to wage a
demographic war for Jewish dominance over the Palestinian population.

We were never able to escape the jarring sight of the ubiquitous
apartheid wall, which stands in contempt of international law and human
rights principles. Constructed of twenty-five-foot-high concrete slabs,
electrified cyclone fencing, and winding razor wire, it almost
completely encloses the West Bank and extends well east of the Green
Line marking Israel's pre-1967 borders. It snakes its way through
ancient olive groves, destroying the beauty of the landscape, dividing
communities and families, severing farmers from their fields and
depriving them of their livelihood. In Abu Dis, the wall cuts across the
campus of Al Quds University through the soccer field. In Qalqiliya, we
saw massive gates built to control the entry and access of Palestinians
to their lands and homes, including a gated corridor through which
Palestinians with increasingly rare Israeli-issued permits are processed
as they enter Israel for work, sustaining the very state that has
displaced them. Palestinian children are forced through similar
corridors, lining-up for hours twice each day to attend school. As one
Palestinian colleague put it, "Occupied Palestine is the largest prison
in the world."

An extensive prison system bolsters the occupation and suppresses
resistance. Everywhere we went we met people who had either been
imprisoned themselves or had relatives who had been incarcerated. Twenty
thousand Palestinians are locked inside Israeli prisons, at least 8,000
of them are political prisoners and more than 300 are children. In
Jerusalem, we met with members of the Palestinian Legislative Council
who are being protected from arrest by the International Committee of
the Red Cross. In Umm al-Fahm, we met with an Islamist leader just after
his release from prison and heard a riveting account of his experience
on the Mavi Marmara and the 2010 Gaza Flotilla. The criminalization of
their political activity, and that of the many Palestinians we met, was
a constant and harrowing theme.

We also came to understand how overt repression is buttressed by
deceptive representations of the state of Israel as the most developed
social democracy in the
region. As feminists, we deplore the Israeli practice of "pink-washing,"
the state's use of ostensible support for gender and sexual equality to
dress-up its occupation. In Palestine, we consistently found evidence
and analyses of a more substantive approach to an indivisible justice.
We met the President and the leadership of the Arab Feminist Union and
several other women's groups in Nablus who spoke about the role and
struggles of Palestinian women on several fronts. We visited one of the
oldest women's empowerment centers in Palestine, In'ash al-Usra, and
learned about various income-generating cultural projects. We also spoke
with Palestinian Queers for BDS [Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions],
young organizers who frame the struggle for gender and sexual justice as
part and parcel of a comprehensive framework for self-determination and
liberation. Feminist colleagues at Birzeit University, An-Najah
University, and Mada al-Carmel spoke to us about the organic linkage of
anti-colonial resistance with gender and sexual equality, as well as
about the transformative role Palestinian institutions of
higher education play in these struggles.

We were continually inspired by the deep and abiding spirit of
resistance in the stories people told us, in the murals inside buildings
such as Ibdaa Center in Dheisheh
Refugee Camp, in slogans painted on the apartheid wall in Qalqiliya,
Bethlehem, and Abu Dis, in the education of young children, and in the
commitment to emancipatory knowledge production. At our meeting with the
Boycott National Committee---an umbrella alliance of over 200
Palestinian civil society organizations, including the General Union of
Palestinian Women, the General Union of Palestinian Workers, the
Palestinian Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel [PACBI], and the
Palestinian Network of NGOs---we were humbled by their appeal: "We are
not asking you for heroic action or to form freedom brigades. We are
simply asking you not to be complicit in perpetuating the crimes of the
Israeli state."

Therefore, we unequivocally endorse the Boycott, Divestment, and
Sanctions Campaign. The purpose of this campaign is to pressure Israeli
state-sponsored
institutions to adhere to international law, basic human rights, and
democratic principles as a condition for just and equitable social
relations. We reject the argument that to criticize the State of Israel
is anti-Semitic. We stand with Palestinians, an increasing number of
Jews, and other human rights activists all over the world in condemning
the flagrant injustices of the Israeli occupation.

We call upon all of our academic and activist colleagues in the U.S. and
elsewhere to join us by endorsing the BDS campaign and by working to end
U.S. financial support, at $8.2 million daily, for the Israeli state and
its occupation. We call upon all people of conscience to engage in
serious dialogue about Palestine and to acknowledge connections between
the Palestinian cause and other struggles for justice. Injustice
anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

Rabab Abdulhadi, San Francisco State University*
Ayoka Chenzira, artist and filmmaker, Atlanta, GA
Angela Y. Davis, University of California, Santa Cruz*
Gina Dent, University of California, Santa Cruz*
G. Melissa Garcia, Ph.D. Candidate, Yale University*
Anna Romina Guevarra, author and sociologist, Chicago, IL
Beverly Guy-Sheftall, author, Atlanta, GA
Premilla Nadasen, author, New York, NY
Barbara Ransby, author and historian, Chicago, IL
Chandra Talpade Mohanty, Syracuse University*
Waziyatawin, University of Victoria*

*For identification purposes only

For press inquiries, please contact feministdelegation at gmail.com
Email: cwgl at rci.rutgers.edu <mailto:cwgl at rci.rutgers.edu>