[16days_discussion] Women's Human Rights Education Institutes 2010 (please share this info!)

Angela Lytle angela.firefly at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 11:30:43 EDT 2010

*Please forward widely---posters attached:*

* **SPACES STILL AVAILABLE---but apply soon!*

*Are you a women’s human rights defender?  Do you want to increase your
knowledge of women’s human rights?  Do you want to use the UN system to
support your activism, or train others on the principles of human rights?  Do
you want to better understand the impact of globalization on the realization
of women’s human rights?  Join other international activists, scholars,
community workers, NGO representatives, lawyers and educators at the **Women’s
Human Rights Education Institutes 2010**.*

* *

The *Women’s Human Rights Education Institutes* is happy to announce that we
now have a limited number of discounts and scholarships available for the
Six-week “*Women’s Human Rights: Building a Peaceful World in an Era of
Globalization*” institute with feminist jurist and activist Alda Facio
running from July 19-August 23rd, 2010.  We will be accepting applications
on a rolling basis until the institute reaches its capacity of twenty, but
apply soon to ensure consideration.  More information on this incredible
learning opportunity follows, or visit our website for full details:
www.learnwhr.org

We are also accepting applications for the one-week “*CEDAW for Change*”
module co-facilitated by former CEDAW committee member Shanthi Dairiam of
IWRAW-AP Malaysia and Alda Facio, held from August 16-20, 2010.   Don’t miss
this incredible chance to learn about the UN Convention on the Elimination
of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) right here in Toronto!
Details follow, or visit our website at the address given above.

***If you belong to a community-based organization in Canada that is run
by/works with aboriginal women, or if you are an aboriginal woman, refugee
or unwaged recent immigrant, we may be able to help you with funds so please
contact us as soon as possible***

*2010 Women’s Human Rights Education Institutes (WHRI):*

*WOMEN’S HUMAN RIGHTS: *

*BUILDING A PEACEFUL WORLD IN AN ERA OF GLOBALIZATION**
**SIX WEEK INSTITUTE* <http://learnwhr.wordpress.com/programs/whri/>*
**July 19-August 26, 2010*
Directed by: Alda Facio, LLP
with Angela Miles, PhD, Angela Lytle MEd, and Mary Eberts LLB, LSM, LLM* *

*Centre for Women’s Studies in Education, University of Toronto***

Offered in Association with *Fundación Justicia y Género*, Costa Rica

*and*

*WOMEN’S RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS!**
CEDAW for Change**
**ONE WEEK INSTITUTE*<http://learnwhr.wordpress.com/programs/cedaw-for-change/>
*
**August 16-20, 2010*

Directed by Alda Facio, LLP and Shanthi Dairiam MA

*Centre for Women’s Studies in Education, University of Toronto***

Offered in Association with IWRAW-AP

Synopsis follows---for full information, see our website at:
www.learnwhr.org

         For inquiries, contact WHRI Program Director Angela Lytle at
info at learnwhr.org

____________________

* *

*Women’s Human Rights: Building a Peaceful World in an Era of Globalization
6 Week Institute***

*Facilitators* <http://learnwhr.wordpress.com/about/faculty/>*: Alda Facio,
Shanthi Dairiam, Angela Miles, Angela Lytle*, *Mary Eberts*

*Offered in Partnership with** **Fundación Justicia y Género, Costa Rica*

*July 19-August 26, 2010*

*Limited to **twenty** Canadian and international participants, so apply
early to ensure consideration.*

*Applications will be considered until the institute is full, but apply
early to ensure consideration.*

*Discounts on tuition are available for unwaged/student/majority world
applicants, as well as for multiple participants from one organization*

This unique educational institute brings feminist perspectives and an
activist orientation to the inextricably related issues of peace, human
rights and life-sustaining development. Participants will develop a
practical understanding of the UN Human Rights system and how to apply a
women’s human rights framework to a multiplicity of issues.

The six-week WHRI brings together a balance of academic/theoretical inquiry
and engaged, activist praxis.   Human rights, peace, and emerging
alternatives to globalization are examined both as interconnected elements
of a socially just and sustainable world and as alternative ways of knowing,
acting, being, and interacting. Women’s human rights are both the subject
and the guiding framework of the institute.  This is reflected in the
teaching principles and methodology. The WHRI aims to create a safe,
supportive, and celebratory space that allows for collective sharing and
knowledge-building alongside skills training . Classes are participatory,
incorporate a broad variety of readings, videos, and activities, and in an
effort to promote integration and well-being, participants are offered
gentle yoga classes twice a week.

All instructors <http://learnwhr.wordpress.com/about/faculty/> have
extensive activist experience at local, national and international levels
and are known for their theoretical, academic and policy contributions in
these areas. To maximize each individual’s learning opportunity,
participants are limited to TWENTY and come from all regions of the world,
many with a great deal of experience in the field of women’s human rights.

*CEDAW For Change -1 Week Intensive Institute*

*Facilitators:  Alda Facio and Shanthi Dairiam, with Angela Lytle and Martha
Morgan*

* **Offered in Partnership with International Women’s Human Rights Action
Watch-Asia Pacific (IWRAW-AP)*

*August 16-20, 2010 *

*Applications ongoing, but a deposit is required by July 16th to ensure a
space.  We will continue to allow enrolment until we reach capacity, so
contact us if the deadline has passed.*

*Discounts on tuition are available for unwaged/student/majority world
applicants, as well as for multiple participants from one organization.*

* *The CEDAW for Change module within the six-week WHRI is open for
additional enrollment as a one-week intensive for those who cannot attend
the full course.  One-week participants will join the six-week programme
participants in this one-week module designed to cultivate a better
understanding of the principles of non discrimination and equality as
enshrined in CEDAW *(Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of
Discrimination Against Women*) and each State’s obligation to respect,
protect and fulfill women’s human rights. Participants will be helped to
frame whatever issues they are working on within a human right’s framework
from a gender perspective.

 This session stresses the multiplicity of forms of discrimination women
from diverse situations experience. During the week we will learn through
activities focused around identity and interconnectedness, the complex
nature of discrimination, the impact of culture and religion on women’s
rights, and activism against discrimination.  We will examine case studies
that have come before the CEDAW committee and will explore ways in which
CEDAW can be used to support local and national level activism through the
submission of Shadow Reports by NGOs and through the CEDAW Optional
Protocol.

For full details, see our website at:  www.learnwhr.org

For inquiries, contact WHRI Program Director Angela Lytle at:
info at learnwhr.org

--
angela lytle
program director
info at learnwhr.org
Find us on Facebook at "Women's Human Rights Education Institute WHRI"
Find us on Twitter at LearnWHR