[16days_discussion] [WorkingWithBoysandMen] Fw: Fwd: Black Man Inside: Rethinking Black Masculinity: May 18 - 22, 2009 8 - 10 pm ET

Ravi Karkara rkarkara at yahoo.com
Wed May 20 13:10:28 EDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jessica Yee <jessica_j_yee at hotmail.com>
Date: 2009/5/18
Subject: [YouthforGenderEquality] Black Man Inside: Rethinking Black Masculinity: May 18 - 22, 2009 8 - 10 pm ET
To: youthforgenderequality at yahoogroups.com

“Speaking Truth to Power and
Ourselves”
Our Common Ground
with Janice Graham
URBAN PROGRESSIVE TALK RADIO
           May 18 - 22 ~ 8 pm ET
8-10 PM EST//X^^X\\ Live TALK RADIO on the
INTERNET //X^^X\\  Call In:
954-530-2068
Listen Live at http://www.ustalknetwork.com
( click the Listen Now link)
email: Janice at ourcommonground.com
                 “Transforming Truth to  POWER one show at a time”

 Black
Man Inside : Rethinking Black Masculinity
                       TRUTHSPEAK: "Feminist politics is a choice. When men make that choice, our
world is transformed.”- bell hooks
Black MAN INSIDE: Rethinking Black Masculinity
                            All This Week
Black Man Inside: Conversations with Our
Brothers

OUR COMMON GROUNDpresents a full week of special programming focusing
on issues relevant to the Black American male and Black male feminist thought.
"The Black Man Inside: Rethinking Black Masculinity".

This week long special programming focusing and reflecting on Black men,
masculinity and their relationships to Black community values, addressing
challenges of much needed transformation and the demands to build healthy
relationships and community. The Black man inside is essential to our struggle
and protection.
"The Black Man
Inside: Rethinking Black Masculinity" series will feature
conversations with four Black men whose inquiry, struggle and transformation embody
a love for themselves and for our people. Janice Graham "In Conversation
in the language of TruthSpeak at OUR COMMON GROUND with:
BrotherScholar/Activists, Drs. Mark Anthony Neal, Duke University and David
Ikard, Florida State University~ Gary Lemons, University of South Florida: and
BrotherActivists, Major Neill Franklin, formerly of the City of Baltimore
Police Department and Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) and
Anti-Sexist Activist, Filmmaker, Byron Hurt

Monday, May 18, 2009

Mark Anthony Neal, author, cultural anthropologist and Professor,
African & African-American Studies, Duke University, New Black Man: Rethinking Black Masculinity

He is
engaged in interdisciplinary scholarly work in the fields of African-American,
Cultural, and Gender Studies that draws upon the fields of literary theory,
urban sociology, social history, postmodern philosophy, Queer theory and most
notably popular culture. His broad project is to interrogate popular
culture--music, television, film, and literature--produced within the context
of Afro-diasporic expressive cultures. It is my belief that popular culture
represents an arena of knowledge that has a profound impact on societal and
cultural norms in the United Statesand globally, but one that has been largely underscrutinized as
a "serious" site of scholarly and theoretical study. It is also my
belief that commercial popular culture represents a distinct site of
ideological production, thus my own work aims to engage the ideological undercurrents
within commercial popular culture particularly within the context of race,
gender, sexuality, class, and ethnicity.

Dr.
Neal is currently on the faculty at DukeUniversityin the Department of Women’s Studies.

Neal
is the author of many significant  books, among them, ,What