[16days_discussion] [WorkingWithBoysandMen] Fw: Ex-child soldiers: from victims of war to protagonists of peace

Ravi Karkara rkarkara at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 26 12:12:26 EDT 2009

http://www.unicef.org/media/media_50066.html
Ex-child soldiers: from victims of war to protagonists of peace
“Children and young people affected by war: learn,
understand, act”
ROME, 23 June 2009 – Two young people, former child soldiers, who have
transformed their brutal life experiences toward helping the more than one
billion children whose lives are currently touched by war today told the
international community, including Franco Frattini, the Italian Minister of
Foreign Affairs, and Giovanni Alemanno, Mayor of Rome, what must be done to
ensure that children are fully protected even in the heat of war.

Grace
Akallo, originally from Uganda, and Kon Kelei, originally from Sudan, narrated
their personal experiences as former child soldiers and spoke of building their
network of children and young people affected by war that they helped found -
Network of Young People Affected by War (NYPAW) to a gathering of ambassadors,
government and United Nations officials and civil society partners.

The
young people highlighted that children who have been affected by war need extra
support and attention in order to overcome their difficulties

Globally,
it is estimated that around 250,000 children are currently exploited by armed
groups and forces as soldiers. As such, they are fulfilling functions as
frontline fighters, porters or sex slaves. Over one billion children live in
countries or territories affected by armed conflict – almost one sixth of the
total world population. Of these, some 300 million are under the age of five.
Since 1998 to now, more than 100,000 children have been demobilized and
reintegrated into society.

They suffer from both the direct
consequences of conflict, as well as the long-term effects on their development
and well-being.

Hosted by  the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and
the City of Rome, the symposium, “Children and Young People Affected by War:
Learn, Understand, Act,” was attended by, in addition to Ms. Akallo, Mr Kelei
(NYPAW) and Mr. Frattini (MFA),  the participants included Mr. Giovanni
Alemanno, Mayor of Rome,  Ms. Radhika Coomaraswamy, UN Special Representative
for Children in Armed Conflict; Ms. Marta Santos Pais, Director, UNICEF
Innocenti Research Centre, Appointed Special Representative of the Secretary
General on Violence against Children, Ms. Rima Salah, Deputy Special
Representative of the Secretary General for Central African Republic and Chad;
Ms. Charlotte Petri Gornitzka, Secretary General of International Save the
Children Alliance; Jean-Marc de la Sablière, Ambassador of France in Italy,
former President of the Security Council Working Group on Children and Armed
Conflict; Giuliomaria Terzi di Sant’Agata, Permanent Representative of Italy to
the United Nations.  The moderator of the event was Francesca Caferri,
correspondent for La Repubblica.

Video messages were sent from other
members of NYPAW:  Ishmael Beah (Sierra Leone); Zlata Filopovic (Bosnia
Herzegovina).

***
Following are quotes from the
participants:

“My own story is one among the thousand-fold stories you
have not heard.  There are dozens of armies and rebel groups who continue to
ruin the lives of children in the same ways around the world.  NYPAW is here to
let you know the very real suffering of these children and young people, both
abducted or not abducted, they are innocent, they deserve protection, love and a
future.  No child, I repeat no child deserves this kind of suffering.
“
-Grace Akallo, founding member of NYPAW and former child
soldier

***
“We founded this network, not to promote
ourselves, but to communicate to the world that there is hope and children and
young people who were once traumatized by war can recover and become important
citizens of the world.”

“This network will be a group that governments,
UN agencies, NGOs, media, teachers, community members and others who are seeking
to effectively support children in this capacity can turn to for realistic
advise, guidance and to facilitate the creation of successful and meaningful
reintegration and rehabilitation projects.
- Kon Kelei, founding
member of NYPAW and former child soldier

***
“For years,
Italy has been working tirelessly to protect and assist all over the world
children and child victims of armed conflict with interventions at the highest
international meetings and institutions, focusing on three fundamental
objectives of prevention, reintegration of the victims and their integration
into the social fabric.  Through the work of the Italian government humanitarian
aid and development agency, COOPI, for many years a great number of projects in
conflict and post-conflict countries in every continent have received funding.
So we are particularly pleased that last November, Italy was able to help with
the launch of NYPAW, and will help, together with the United Nations, UNICEF and
the NGOs in the important road that NYPAW has taken.
With the meeting today
and the photographic exhibition, we want to launch a new and powerful appeal to
civil society and the international community so that the thousands of Italians
and foreign visitors that visit Rome recognize that when we speak of children
harmed by armed conflict, there is an irreparable damage that humanity
experiences when even one of these young lives is destroyed.
- Franco
Frattini, Italian Minister of Foreign Affairs

***
“The
expression ‘child soldier’ is in itself a terrible paradox, because it alludes
to the idea that childhood, as a symbol and reality of the future, is taken
away.  That is why by confronting the problem on a global level we are also
addressing the local issues.  For example, the City of Rome is this year
financing some decentralized partnership projects, aimed at assisting the
reintegration of the child soldier into society, for example in North Kivu in
the Democratic Republic of the Congo.”
- Giovanni Alemanno, Mayor of
Rome

***
“Advocacy must be reinforced by real action.
Perpetrators of grave violations against children have to be held accountable
and impunity must end.”

“We must let the world know children’s stories
and we must take effective protective, legal and political actions to ensure
that as many children as possible are spared the brutalities of war.  Our joint
action has, and will, make a difference, if only we make the
effort.”
- Radhika Coomaraswamy, UN Special Representative for
Children in Armed Conflict

 “The role of education is
critical to the protection of children affected by war, in the prevention of
conflict and peace building.  Save the Children launched in 2006 the “Rewrite
the Future” campaign, thanks to which, 10 million minors that live in more than
20 countries affected by war –of whom were also many child soldiers – had the
opportunity to get an education.”
- Charlotte Petri Gornitzka, Secretary
General of International Save the Children Alliance

***

“Today
we have listened to the personal experiences of courageous young people who have
faced the brutal consequences of war. They have turned tragedy into victory and
their testimony clearly shows the important role of children and young people in
reconciliation and peace-building efforts. But there must be long-term
commitment to guide and support young people in achieving realistic and
sustainable solutions. This requires our urgent attention. We cannot fail to
answer their call to action.”
- Marta Santos Pais, Director, UNICEF
Innocenti Research Centre Appointed Special Representative of the Secretary
General on Violence against Children

 ***
“Today UN
peacekeeping operations are working in close collaboration with UNICEF and other
child protection actors, in various conflict and post conflict contexts to
ensure that child protection issues are integrated as a key priority within the
political processes and that they are adequately addressed in the peace-building
and consolidation phases.  In both Burundi and Eastern Congo these efforts have
recently resulted in the release of hundreds of children from armed
groups.”
- Rima Salah, Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary
General for Central African Republic and Chad

***

Note
to editors:   Today a photo exhibit, "Children of War - Broken Childhood" was
opened in Piazza Campidoglio by Giovanni Alemmano, Mayor of Rome, Franco
Frattini, Minister of Foreign Affairs; Radhika Coomaraswamy, SRSG for Children
and Armed Conflict and Charlotte Petri Gornitzka, Secretary General of
International Save the Children Alliance.  The exhibition will remain outdoors
on display in Piazza Campidoglio until 29 June 2009.

The exhibition is
composed of four themes:  girl-child soldiers, reintegration, small arms and
light weapons and the fight against impunity and was taken from the book by
Leora Kahn,  “Child Soldier” – that features the work of renown war
photographers. The exhibition is taking place thanks to the support of the
Department of Culture Policies and Communications, the Superintendent of Fine
Arts with the technical expertise of the Capitoline
Museums.