[16days_discussion] Recession Fuels Dating Violence, Curbs Prevention

KATHLEEN SLOAN kathleen.sloan at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 22 11:17:34 EDT 2009

No surprise here.  What they don't say is that the vast majority of this violence has got to be male-perpetrated; I can't imagine that more than 2% of teen dating violence is female-initiated.  As the article indicates, there's also a great deal of denial on the part of parents or they simply don't know what's going on in their kids' lives.  While the article is focused on the U.S., I'm sure similar increases are occuring globally as the financial crisis is international.

I sound like a broken record but as long as a culture of patriarchy, male entitlement and sexual objectification of females continue to prevail, so will domestic violence and sexual abuse.

Kathy Sloan
NOW

A recent study finds intimate-partner abuse rising among teens and their parents during the recession, Amy Littlefield reports today. At the same time, tighter school budgets hamper efforts to teach prevention in health class.

Recession Fuels Dating Violence, Curbs Prevention
By Rita Henley Jensen
WeNews editor in chief

(WOMENSENEWS)--A survey released earlier this month finds that teen dating violence rates are higher than ever, with the economic crisis apparently worsening rates of abuse between parents and among teens.

Those June 10 results come out as school budget cuts hinder education programs focused on preventing dating violence.

The survey, commissioned by Liz Claiborne Inc. and Family Violence Prevention Fund, found that nearly half (44 percent) of teens whose families have experienced economic problems in the past year have witnessed verbal or physical abuse between their parents, and 67 percent of those teens have experienced abuse in their own relationships.

Overall, nearly 1 in 3 teens (29 percent) reported experiencing sexual or physical abuse or threats of such abuse in dating relationships and nearly half (47 percent) reported experiencing controlling behavior from a boyfriend or girlfriend.

The survey also found that almost two-thirds of parents whose teens have been in dating relationships believe their children have never experienced abuse, despite numbers that suggest higher rates.

Most parents are not talking to their children about teen dating violence, according to the findings, with 80 percent of teens turning to friends for help. Only 25 percent of teens reported taking a course on teen dating violence in school.
'Parents Need to Learn'
"Parents need to learn. They're so oblivious," says Monique Betty, 19, who suffered dating violence in middle and high school.

Providers of services to prevent dating violence, who have seen an increase in teens reporting abuse, believe the rise may stem from growing awareness of the issue.

"I hope that it is more that kids are able to identify it better, because there has been more education and awareness around it," says Lucy Rios, director of prevention at the Rhode Island Coalition Against Domestic Violence.

Among other growing educational efforts, Liz Claiborne reports having distributed 4,600 free copies of its "Love Is Not Abuse" curriculum nationwide.

National teen dating violence education leader Break the Cycle will market a DVD-based curriculum with testimonies from survivors and experts for under $100 to schools across the country, starting this fall. The organization, which has its headquarters in Los Angeles and Washington, D.C., will also distribute 1,000 free copies in Southern California.

An online educational video game is also in the works in Rhode Island.
Video Game Teaches Safety
Using a grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the Providence-based domestic violence nonprofit Sojourner House, along with the youth advocacy group Young Voices and the Rhode Island Department of Education, is developing an interactive game that will allow teens to navigate through dating violence scenarios in a high school setting.

Ten other sites received grants from Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, including an organization in Idaho, where Monique Betty, the survivor of dating violence, will provide mentorship to students in middle school.

Such innovative projects rekindle hope, but Ann Burke, whose daughter was killed by an ex-boyfriend in 2005, wishes nationwide implementation of school curricula on teen dating violence was going better.

Burke pioneered the passage and implementation of a law requiring teen dating violence education and policy in Rhode Island and worked closely with the state's attorney general Patrick Lynch, a Women's eNews 21 Leader 2009.

She says similar laws or resolutions in at least nine other states have been "watered down" by the budget crisis.

Such resolutions tend to recommend rather than require education.

As Rhode Island schools struggle with crippling budget cuts, Burke has single-handedly trained over a thousand school staff members, including more than half of the state's health teachers, through the privately funded Lindsay Ann Burke Memorial Fund.

Amy Littlefield is a freelance writer who lives in Los Angeles.
Women's eNews welcomes your comments. E-mail us at editors at womensenews.org.
________________________________

Read More Education
Related Stories
 R.I. Offers Lesson Plan on Teen Dating Violence
 Dangerous Trends, Innovative Responses
http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm?aid=2906
 Dating Violence Warnings Candy-Wrapped in Croatia
http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm?aid=3304
 Feds May Fund Programs for Teen Dating Violence
http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm?aid=2366
For more information:
Break the Cycle
http://www.breakthecycle.org/
Note: Women's eNews is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites and the contents of Web pages we link to may change without notice.
________________________________

________________________________
Please donate now by going to: https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=225
Or donate by check made out to:
Women's eNews
and Mail it to:
Women's eNews 6 Barclay Street, Sixth floor New York, NY 10007
Copyright 2008 Women's eNews. The information contained in this Women's eNews report may--with the prior written authorization of Women's eNews--be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed. To obtain permission, go to http://www.copyright.com/ccc/do/showConfigurator?WT.mc_id=PubLink and provide the publication or broadcast date and the name of the newspaper, magazine, radio or television station, cable network, Web site, newsletter or list serve where it will be replicated. Please include the approximate size of the audience you intend to reach. Answers to your most frequently asked questions about permissions to reprint or repost Women's eNews content are available here: http://www.womensenews.org/reprint_faq.cfm
Women's eNews is a nonprofit independent news service covering issues of concern to women and their allies. Women's eNews is supported by our readers; reprints and licensing fees; and foundations. Who Funds Us
We receive financial support from our readers, private donors, events, commercial publications that republish our material and from the following foundations. * The Bydale Foundation * The Carnegie Corporation of New York * The Charles Lawrence Keith & Clara S. Miller Foundation * The Ford Foundation * The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation * The Barbara Lee Family Foundation * The Livingry Fund of the Tides Foundation * Mary Kay Inc. * The McCormick Foundation * The Ms. Foundation * The Open Society Institute * The Rockefeller Brothers Fund * The Rockefeller Family Fund * The Sister Fund * The Starry Night Fund of Tides Foundation * The United Nations Foundation * The Waitt Institute for Violence Prevention * The W.K. Kellogg Foundation * Working Assets The donations from readers are critical to our success. They are an important measure that we are serving our audience--the yardstick that our foundation supporters will measure us by. Donate now by
 going to http://www.womensenews.org/support.cfm
Women's eNews subscribers may select whether to receive a daily full text, daily summary or weekly summary. To change your email address, send mail to membersvcs at womensenews.org. To change the frequency of your mail or to cancel your subscription, send a message to Member Services (membersvcs at womensenews.org) or use our online form: http://www.womensenews.org/update_subscription.cfm