[16days_discussion] Say NO to Sexual Violence in Conflict

Beth Dehghan beth.dehghan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 13:17:31 EDT 2009

Dear Friends,

Yesterday hundreds of armed Iraqi security forces attacked the Iranian
refugee camp in Iraq and killed seven unarmed people and injured more than
300s including several women.

The residents of this refugee camp called Ashraf , are the member of Iranian
opposition group and have the legal right to live in Iraq. The raid is still
going on this morning. In order to prevent more blood shit and to end this
human being catastrophe, please  distribute  the Amnesty International
statement among your contacts.

With many thanks

Beth Dehghan

http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/MDE14/021/2009/en/f5ea09ef-1cb4-4900-b6fe-8244ded17fb3/mde140212009en.html

Document - Iraq: Camp Ashraf residents attacked

AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL

Public Statement

AI Index: MDE 14/021/2009

Iraq: Camp Ashraf residents attacked

Amnesty International is seriously concerned at today’s attacks by Iraqi
forces on unarmed residents of Camp Ashraf which left several people injured
and led to the arrest of at least eight others.

Hundreds of armed Iraqi security forces are said to have stormed the camp,
north of Baghdad, at around 3pm local time. They used tear gas, water canons
and batons against unarmed Iranian residents who tried to stop them from
entering the camp.

Video footage seen by Amnesty International clearly shows Iraqi forces
beating people repeatedly on different parts of the body, including the
head. Dozens of people are said to have been injured. Two of them, Reza
Chelcheraqi and Mohammad-Reza Shahsavandi, are believed to be in serious
condition. At least eight people, including Hasan Besharati, Humayoun
Deyhim, Gholam Reza Behrouzi, Hosein Fili, Mehdi Zareh and Naser Nour
Ebadian, were arrested and their current whereabouts are unknown.

In the last few months the Iraqi government has publicly stated that it
wants to take over full control of Camp Ashraf, in Diyala governorate, north
of Baghdad. On 27 July government spokesperson ‘Ali al-Dabbagh told an Iraqi
satellite television channel that the government “will take over the
responsibility of internal security affairs of Camp Ashraf”. The authorities
are reportedly planning to establish a police outpost inside the camp.

Amnesty International calls on the Iraqi government to investigate the
apparent excessive use of force by Iraqi security forces. The government
should reveal the whereabouts of the eight people detained and ensure that
they are protected from torture or other ill-treatment, as well as from
forcible return to Iran.

 Background

Around 3,400 residents of Camp Ashraf are members or supporters of the
People’s Mojahedeen Organization of Iran (PMOI), an Iranian opposition
organization whose members have been resident in Iraq for many years. Until
recently the PMOI was listed as a “terrorist” organization by the European
Union and other governments, but in most cases this designation has now been
lifted on the grounds that the PMOI no longer advocates or engages in armed
opposition to the government of Iran.

The US forces provided protection for the camp and its residents, who were
designated as “protected persons” following the 2003 invasion of Iraq, but
this situation was discontinued following the Status of Forces Agreement
(SOFA) between the US and Iraqi governments, although the SOFA makes no
reference to Camp Ashraf or its residents.

Public Document

For more information please call Amnesty International's press office in
London, UK, on +44 20 7413 5566 or email: press at amnesty.org

International Secretariat, Amnesty International, 1 Easton St., London WC1X
0DW, UK www.amnesty.org