[16days_discussion] [WorkingWithBoysandMen] Fw: Fwd: Apply for Male Peacemakers Training in the Netherlands

Ravi Karkara rkarkara at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 13 08:34:32 EDT 2009

Dear Colleagues,

Applications are still being accepted for the following male peacemakers training which I will be co-leading. Please see information below.

Steven Botkin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear friends

IFOR’s Women Peacemakers Program is currently accepting applications for the upcoming ToT “Overcoming Violence: Exploring Masculinities, Violence, and Peace.”

Specific objectives of the ToT are:

    * To train male trainers on gender-sensitive active non-violence (ANV);
    * To explore the concept of masculinities in relation to issues of violence and peace;
    * To establish community-based teams who can multiply gained skills and knowledge;
    * To create a pool of male gender-sensitive ANV trainers;

Please find more information below. The application form is attached as well.

Kind regards,
José de Vries
WPP Information Officer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The WPP Training of Trainers: 2009 - 2010

Gender lies at the root of war and peace. As a marker of identity, an exploration of gender is becoming increasingly critical in understanding the complexity of violent conflict. In practical terms, too, concrete ways must be found to implement a gender perspective in third-party interventions in armed conflicts.

WPP is convinced that in order to transform cultures of war and violence, women peace activists need to work together with male allies. In light of this analysis, the WPP plans to organize a Training of Trainers (ToT) Cycle for male peace builders, consisting of two 10-days long trainings, during the period 2009/2010.

Training male peace activists in gender-sensitive non-violence will increase access to and the involvement of this vital part of civil society. It is WPP’s experience that male trainers are in a good position to reach out to male participants, as men can identify with other men. Gender-sensitive male trainers can hence act as powerful role models for gender equality, in addition to deepening existing gender analysis.

The WPP Training of Trainers will focus on advanced instruction in the theory and practice of gender-sensitive active non-violence (ANV), the theory of masculinities and its relation to violence, participatory and gender-sensitive facilitation, and other relevant topics based on a needs-assessment done prior to the ToT.

The first ToT in 2009 will have a maximum of 20 participants. The target audience will be male peace builders active in leading positions in CSOs.

>From the 20 participants 10 training teams will be established. The teams will organize one (1) gender-sensitive ANV training within a year of their return home. The WPP will support the replicated trainings with seed money and a mentor (an experienced gender-sensitive non-violence trainer from trainees’ region). This mentor will support and evaluate the trainees’ performance as trainers, and report back. Input from the evaluations will be used to design the content of the follow-up ToT in 2010. The 2010 ToT will evaluate the trainees’ progress; address further training needs; and identify needs for further support and mentoring.

For this innovative Training of Trainers, the WPP program is currently inviting applications.

Deadline for application: July 15, 2009, 5 p.m. C.E.T.

Participants must have previous exposure to gender training and/or non-violence training, and ideally are active in the capacity of trainer within an NGO setting or peace group. Applicants must have clear plans to implement the skills gained at the Training of Trainers into their work for peace. Participants must possess strong communication skills and cultural sensitivity, and be committed to participatory approaches to training. Participants are required to commit to the two-year training cycle, including organizing their own follow-up training within a year upon return from the first ToT.

Participants must have fluent English-language skills since the Training of Trainers is conducted in English. In selecting participants for the TOT, a balance will be sought in terms of regional representation and religion. The training will take place in the Netherlands, from November 30 till December 11, 2009.

Accommodation and food as well as training materials will be provided by the WPP. Participants applying from organisations that are able to pay for the travel costs will be required to do so. Only for those candidates, who can show that they can not cover these costs, will the WPP provide a partial or full travel grant.

Any other expenses of the participants will not be covered by IFOR Women Peacemakers Program (WPP). The IFOR Women Peacemakers Program (WPP) does not pay daily stipends to participants.

Application forms are also posted on-line at www.ifor.org/WPP

Kind regards,
José de Vries
WPP Information Officer

Women Peacemakers Program (WPP)
Spoorstraat 38
1815 BK Alkmaar
The Netherlands / Pays-Bas
tel +31 (0)72 512 3014
fax +31 (0)72 515 1102
j.devries at ifor.org
www.ifor.org/WPP
Attachment(s):
FINAL_Application Form ToT_18062009.doc (222,720 KB)
Remove my name from all future email correspondence

Address postal inquiries to:
Men's Resources International1695 Main St.
Springfield, MA 01103