[16days_discussion] [WorkingWithBoysandMen] Heartiest congratulations: Completion of the 7th successful year of the e-group on participation of girls and boys

Ravi Karkara rkarkara at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 31 22:15:50 EST 2009

Dear friends and supporters of the e-group

Please
accept my thanks for the completion of the 7th successful year of
the e-group on participation of girls and boys. We are close to being to be a
community of 1500 from all over the world.

Everyday, we are expanding the constituency of
promoters and advocates of child rights with a clear focus on participation of
children. We affirm that girls and boys from various backgrounds are
significantly contributing to social transformation and fulfillment of the rights
of children and their community members worldwide.

We have seen the momentum grow EVERYDAY, from
the key achievements by children and their supporters during the Special
Session on Children in 2002 to now the much awaited CRC General Comment on
Article 12 in strengthening of participation of children. We all have affirmed
the need to strengthen children and young people’s active civic engagement at
the community level. The discussions bring out the importance and urgency of
working with national development policies and plans to significantly recognize
children and young people as advocates of social change and activists of human
rights.

The e-group has witnessed vital discussion,
healthy exchanges and sharing of good and innovative practices on children’s
participation. Examples shared include children’s actions to end violence
against girls and boys, children promoting quality education, children as
actors in disaster risk reduction programmes, boys and girls actions to end gender
based violence, and the list goes on.

Increasingly we see that more adults are
contributing to creating an environment where children and young people can
effectively participate. Children feel encouraged in sharing with adults their
voices, concerns, recommendations and actions. Recent discussions also
highlight the need to further strengthen adult support and advocate with strategic
duty bearers to be more accountable to support children in their civic action.

We need to find innovative ways to provide
information to children and adolescents, based on their context. While we
embrace the news forms of technology, we need to adhere to principles of
non-discrimination to see how technology can be used to reach to the “un-reached”.
Unknowingly technology should not alienate and exclude the marginalized.

Amongst many challenges, we still need to
make our ways more meaningful and ethical. Human rights principles of inclusion
and non-discrimination are crucial in creating enabling environments for
children, young people and youth to participate. We still need to strengthen the
participation of many marginalized girls and boys. There are significant additions
to human rights tools that can support in strengthening participation of excluded
children. Amongst others, these include the Conventionon the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and its Optional Protocol - www.un.org/disabilities/, UNPFII - United Nations Permanent
Forum on Indigenous Issues - un.org/esa/socdev/unpfii/.

I thank you all for increasing our
collective knowledge and contributing to a global community of practice on participation
of girls and boys.

I urge you to spread the word about this e-group.

Heartiest congratulations!!

Warm regards

Ravi
(Moderator)