[16days_discussion] Brandeis Gender Working Group

Kelley Ready kready at brandeis.edu
Sat Nov 24 18:20:59 EST 2007

Friends,

We would like to share the activities that have been organized by The
Gender Working Group (GWG), an initiative based at the Heller School of
Social Policy and Management of Brandeis University in collaboration
with the Gender and International Development Initiatives of the Women
Studies Research Center.

Name of your Organization: Gender Working Group (GWG)
Location of your Organization:  The Heller School of Social Policy and
Management, Brandeis University, Waltham, MA USA
Contact Person: Kelley Ready kready at brandeis.edu
Date of event or activity: November 27
Brief description of your events and activities: Our campaign is not
confined to 16 days which is why we are calling it the 16+ Days of
Activism Against Gender Violence. We begin our activities with a
Teach-In on the Epidemic of Violence Against Women in the Congo. The GWG
16 Days activities continue with a film series. From Nov. 29 through
Dec. 18 eight films from seven different countries will be shown. In
commemoration of World AIDS Day, the GWG, and other university
organizations will sponsor a candle light vigil ceremony on December 1.
On December 6, the GWG will sponsor a poster session at the Brandeis
Women Studies Research Center. Students from the MA Program in
Sustainable International Development will do brief presentations on and
exhibit posters of the impressive work they have done on global gender
issues. Finally on  Dec. 7 from 12-2pm, Dr. Gloria White-Hammond will
speak about her work on peace advocacy, gender empowerment and
inter-faith dialog. Dr. Hammond founded the organization, My Sister's
Keeper, with former news anchor, Liz Walker. My Sister's Keeper has
educational, health and economic projects for women in the Sudan.
http://www.mskeeper.org/about.html