[16days_discussion] Fwd: The Freedom Awards: Nominating courageous and inspiring anti-slavery work

Ama Nyamekye ama_nyamekye at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 13:25:45 EST 2007

Can you please post this announcement.  It is a great opportunity for organizations.

      Dear Friends,
  Free the Slaves is pleased to announce that we are currently accepting nominations for our 2008 Freedom Awards.  These awards are open to organizations and individuals who are working to eradicate human trafficking and modern-day slavery.
  The Freedom Awards celebrate the vision and courage of community-based organizations, survivors of slavery, individual leaders and young adult anti-slavery activists who are showing the way to a world without slavery. The Awards also honor past heroes who inspire the anti-slavery movement today.
  Please help us by making a nomination.   Please also pass along this invitation to anyone who might be able to nominate suitable organizations or individuals.  We also welcome self-nominations.
  Each award has its own requirements and nomination form.  To get more information and the correct form, visit the awards webpage: www.freetheslaves.net/freedomawards
or email us at:  freedomawards at freetheslaves.net
  The deadline for nominations is Monday, December 31, 2007.  Nominations received after December 31 cannot be considered for the 2008 awards.

Two awards to community-based organizations
  One award will go to an organization working within communities to make the most significant and transformative contribution to preventing and ending slavery, demonstrating how slavery can be taken apart and destroyed.
  The other award will go to an organization specializing in social reintegration of survivors of slavery to bring them to lasting freedom -- helping them recover psychologically, earn their own income and regain a respected place in the community.
  These awards, named the Harriet Tubman Awards, will give each winning organization:
• A grant of $25,000 each year for two years.
• A technical assistance package worth $15,000 each year for two years.
• A USA study tour to share experiences with relevant organizations.
• A short documentary video produced by Free the Slaves about the activities and work of the organization.
  Eligibility requirements for the Harriet Tubman Awards
Community-based organizations in any part of the world are eligible for this award.
Organizations must:
• Have been operating for at least three years.
• Be legally able to receive funds from overseas sources.
• Be willing to share their work experiences with others (we will arrange interpretation).

One award to an individual survivor of slavery
  This award will be given to an individual who has survived a form of slavery and is now using his or her life in freedom to assist others.  This award honors the tremendous resilience of the human spirit and emphasizes that many survivors of modern-day slavery go on to help others to freedom.
  This award, named the Frederick Douglass Award, will give the winning individual:
• $10,000 for training and capacity building to continue and expand his or her work.
• A total of $10,000 over two years, to be used as he or she feels appropriate.
  Eligibility requirements for the Frederick Douglass Award
Individuals in any part of the world are eligible for this award.
The individual must:
• Be at least 18 years old.
• Be willing to travel to the USA (we will cover travel costs and assist with travel documents).
• Be willing to speak out about his or her experiences (we will arrange interpretation).

One award to an individual in a leadership role
  This award will be given to an individual who has moved a major institution, a business or large groups of people to significant action to fight slavery.
  This award, named the William Wilberforce Award, will give the winning individual:
• A total of $10,000 over two years, to be used as he or she feels appropriate.
  Eligibility requirements for the William Wilberforce Award
Individuals in any part of the world are eligible for nomination for this award.
The individual must:
• Be willing to travel to the USA (we will cover travel costs and assist with travel documents).
• Be willing to speak out about his or her experiences (we will arrange interpretation).

Two fellowships to young adult anti-slavery activists
  Two fellowships to work with Free the Slaves will be awarded to young adults who have demonstrated consistent determination, creativity and results in the anti-slavery movement, and who are committed to developing their career to help rid the world of slavery.
  These fellowships, named the Anne Templeton Zimmerman Awards, will give the winning individuals:
• A one-year fellowship with a salary of $35,000, plus benefits.
• A professional development package including accredited academic and non-profit management courses.
• The opportunity to travel outside the USA to learn about other anti-slavery efforts.
  Eligibility requirements for the Anne Templeton Zimmerman Awards
In 2007, we can only accept nominations of young adults with an existing legal right to work in the USA.
Individuals must:
• Be aged between 21 and 30.
• Have joined in anti-slavery or related efforts over at least two years.
• Be able to work for the year in a Free the Slaves office.
• Have a USA green card or be a USA citizen.
• Be a university graduate, or about to graduate.

Please note:  It is important to read further about the awards, and to submit the appropriate nomination form.  Visit the awards webpage: www.freetheslaves.net/freedomawards or email us, stating which award you need to know more about: freedomawards at freetheslaves.net

  Remove my name from future mailings | Privacy Policy

  1012 14th St. NW Ste 600, Washington DC 20005 USA (202) 638-1865 info at freetheslaves.net
Content copyright ©2007 Free the Slaves. All rights reserved.