[16days_discussion] 16 Days COUNTDOWN- Issue 3

Sadia Hameed shameed at rci.rutgers.edu
Tue Nov 13 12:38:56 EST 2007

16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence- November 25-December 10, 2007

"DEMANDING IMPLEMENTATION-CHALLENGING OBSTACLES: END VIOLENCE AGAINST
WOMEN"

Dear Friends,

Today we kick off discussion around the third thinking point within this
year's 16 Days of Activism Theme

*Thinking point 3: Increasing awareness of the impact of violence
against women, including engaging men an boys in prevention and
eradication efforts

In order to help facilitate the next 5 days of discussion on this issue
I am sending for your consideration the following points:

- What are the myths and stereotypes that continue to exist around the
use and acceptance of violence against women in your community?

-What steps need to be taken and by who in order to shift these stereotypes?

-Are there men-led organizations in your country that campaign against
the use of violence by men against women? Have you ever partnered with
these organizations?

-What message can men in your community carry to other men?

- Based on your work and experience what are the best tools/methods that
can be used to raise awareness?

-Do most women in your community know where to go to receive services
and protection is they are threatened or become a victim of violence?

- What can be done better to ensure that women know their rights and can
access the protections and services they need when faced with violence

I look forward to a dynamic and interactive discussion from you all over
the next few days!

Please remember that you must reply to the *listserve* in order to post
your message to everyone- and not just to me.

Please include the following information in your responses: Your name or
organization's name and the country you are based in.

If I could also call upon our multi-lingual colleagues to assist us in
this conversation and provide translations for submissions is languages
other than English that would
be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Sadia Hameed