[16days_discussion] 16 Days Count Down- Issue 2

Sadia Hameed shameed at rci.rutgers.edu
Mon Nov 5 10:43:27 EST 2007

16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence- November 25-December 10, 2007

"DEMANDING IMPLEMENTATION-CHALLENGING OBSTACLES: END VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN"

Dear Friends,

Today we kick off discussion around the second thinking point within
this year's 16 Days of Activism Theme

*Thinking point 2: Calling for greater accountability and political
commitment from states to prevent and punish all forms of violence
against women

*In order to help facilitate the next 5 days of discussion on this issue
I am sending for your consideration the following points:

- What are the legal gaps that exist in your country which allow
violence against women to continue?

- Has your State ratified the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms
of Violence Against Women (CEDAW)? If yes have they taken concrete steps
to ensure that the principles of CEDAW are implemented through domestic
legislation?

- Based on the work of your organization, group or network what do you
feel are the main areas of improvement for the State and other actors in
protecting women from acts of violence and holding perpetrators accountable?

- This 16 Days if you could call on your Government to take action what
three issues would you prioritize for advocacy?

I look forward to a dynamic and interactive discussion from you all over
the next 5 days!

Please remember that you must reply to the listserve in order to post
your message to everyone- and not just to me.

Please include the following information in your responses

Your name or organization's name and the country you are based in.

Kind Regards,

Sadia Hameed
Program Coordinator
CWGL