[16days_discussion] Contribution by Ms Florence Mahoro

CWGL cwgl at igc.org
Tue Jun 26 12:16:26 EDT 2007

The message below was sent by "Douschka Dobson" <DDobson at mcm.org.au>:

Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:03:48 +1000
From: "Douschka Dobson" <DDobson at mcm.org.au>
To: <16days_discussion-bounces at email.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Contribution by Ms Florence Mahoro
I believe that this was an important contribution made by Ms Mahoro.
It highlighted the complexity of issues faced by women in different
environments around the world and the danger of alienating women and
their experiences by using one common theme that many women might not
feel is inclusive.
I am a crisis worker in Melbourne, Australia working with single
young women and their children.
Recently many of our clients are women from Somalia, Sudan and
Ethiopia. While there are common themes amongst women escaping
domestic violence there are also many issues to consider when
supporting women who come from a different frame of reference and to
respect that sometimes there may not even be a language for the
'naming' of such things as domestic violence.
We have to start looking at guidelines so that we can support best
all the women in our community allowing them to feel safe and part of
a greater network of care.
Those guidelines may include looking at how we apply slogans or
themes, how they represent and who.

This e-mail and any attachments may contain privileged and
confidential information.

If this e-mail is not addressed to you please notify the sender
immediately by return

e-mail, delete it from your system and destroy any copies you may have.

Any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any
attachments

is prohibited.

DISCLAIMER