[16days_discussion] 16 days campaign theme consultation 2007: The Challenges that we face (breast cancer)

Bernedette Muthien bmuthien at icon.co.za
Mon Jun 25 04:47:33 EDT 2007

Dear sisterfriends

I am writing from Cape Town, South Africa, from a country where neo-liberal
structural adjustment programmes have wreaked havoc with, among others, our
healthcare system, education, social services.

We are meant to be one of the most progressive countries in the world, and
our leaders are feted at A-list parties the world over. Yet women - and let
me restate that to be clearer: poor black women (women of colour) – are
dying of easily preventable diseases like the various cancers that afflict
us in the modern era.

This because routing testing and screening for the various cancers or their
‘precursors’ (like HPV & cervical cancer, or mammograms) are largely
unavailable to poor black women. Even when we know we should be getting
screened, we can’t afford it.

A small group of black woman scholar-activists here, precipitated by my
sister’s mastectomy, are currently discussing why more and more black women
in our country are getting cancer, and included are discussions of
oestrogens that are routinely added to livestock that we then ingest
(organic? Get real; people can barely afford chemicalised food, let alone
the luxuries of organic). Now perhaps one can understand why radical women
like Patricia McFadden are vegan.

So our environments and the food we ingest are routinely polluted. And our
bodies suffer while we have no access to health care services, education
about the importance of screening, and preventative measures, etc.

Men scientists have been studying prostate cancer and staring at each
other’s phalluses ad nauseum, while breast cancer & cervical cancer remain
marginal.

This to me is gender-based violence. I would like it named as GBV. I would
like it campaigned against as GBV. I would like it addressed and ended.

With compassionate rage,

Bernedette

Bernedette Muthien

Executive Director

Engender, registered NPO

Tel & Fax: +27-21-4482112

Mobile: +27-83-3450552

Email: info at engender.org.za

Website: www.engender.org.za

Address: PO Box 12992, Mowbray, 7705, Cape Town, South Africa

   _____